Training for Human Subjects Research
Initial Education Requirement to Conduct Human Subjects Research
All persons involved in the design, implementation, review, and oversight of human research conducted or supported by the University must complete and maintain the required training to fulfill their obligations to conduct ethical and scientifically-sound research; and to adequately protect human subjects (see the RIO policy manual for training requirements or follow the links below for specific information).
University and affiliate* researchers are required to complete one or more Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) ethics training courses.
All researchers are required to complete Human Subject Research training This training is required for all study personnel and must be taken at least every five years. A passing score is 80%.
*VA researchers must comply with VA training requirements. For information, see the VA Human Subject Research page of the RIO website.
Waivers or Alterations for Researcher Training Requirements
On a case-by-case basis, the Director, Research Integrity Office, may waive or alter training requirements for researchers.
Instructions for Human Subject Research (Basic Course) CITI Training for Research Study Team
- Go to the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative login page.
- Register as a new user
Note: if you already have a log in and password, skip to # 6 (below)
- Be sure to locate University of Nevada, Reno in the drop down options
- When you get to the options for which training you would like to take, scroll down to Question 1: Human Subject Research (Basic Course) choose either Group 1 or Group 2, whichever most closely matches your discipline
Note: For Human Subjects Research, this is all that is required from the IRB as a Basic Course
Note: You may have other requirements such as Conflict of Interest (COI) or Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) Training from other sources
- Scroll down and click on continue. You will be taken back to your home page where you will see "Not Started - Enter."
Note: You may start and stop the modules as many times as needed, log out and back in as time permits, it will pick up where you left off.
- Log in using your registered username and password. If you have forgotten your username and/or password, send an e-mail to JanAnderson@unr.edu and she will e-mail the information back to you.
- From your homepage, click on: "Add a course or update your learner groups"
- Scroll down to question 1: Human Subject Research (Basic Course) and choose the module that most closely matches your discipline
- Return to #4 (above) and complete through #5 (above)