315. Requirements for Recruitment by External Researchers
Updated July 1, 2019
Research may target University of Nevada, Reno (the University) or Affiliate faculty, students, or staff as study participants.
Requirements When University or Affiliate Investigators Are NOT Engaged in the Research
External investigators may conduct research involving University or Affiliate faculty, students, or staff when the University or Affiliate is not engaged in the research (see Policy Manual Definitions for "engaged in ...research").
Before inviting prospective participants, the external investigator must obtain approval from the University or Affiliate official who is responsible for protecting the privacy of members of the group to be recruited. The official responsible for the group being targeted by the research may
- provide prospective subjects with information about the research on behalf of the external investigator (e.g., forward recruitment materials or read a script provided by the external investigator);
- provide prospective subjects with information for contacting the external investigator to obtain information about the research; or
- obtain permission from prospective participants' to release their contact information to the external investigator to use for recruitment purposes.
Review by the University of Nevada, Reno IRB is not required when University or Affiliate investigators are not engaged in the research.
Requirements When University or Affiliate Investigators ARE Engaged in the Research
IRB approval is required when University or Affiliate faculty, students or staff are engaged in the conduct of non-exempt human subject research (per 45CFR46.101 item (a). NOTE: For human subject research that is exempt (per 45CFR46.101 item (b) or the University flexibility policy), review and approval from the RI is required.
When non-exempt research involves collaboration among external investigators and University or Affiliate faculty, students, or staff as investigators, the University IRB may
- allow the University investigator to request acknowledgement of the collaborating investigator's IRB as the IRB of Record (see IRB policy for review by an external IRB), or
- require the University investigator submit for review and approval by the University IRB.