Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- More Info: Loading...
The Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certificate program prepares nurses who have already earned a Master of Science in Nursing degree to care for patients with behavioral and mental-health problems. In this advanced practice role, graduates should be prepared to assess, diagnose, treat and provide follow-up care to these patients.
Upon completion of the program, the PMHNP should be ready to provide care in a variety of treatment settings, including hospitals, jails, homes and outpatient clinics, and coordinate with other health care team members.
Why Get a PMHNP Certificate?
A shortage of mental health professionals and an increasing demand for expert mental health care in rural health settings make PMHNPs especially valuable today. The skills a PMHNP brings are critical for patients experiencing acute psychiatric and mental health problems.
The PMHNP program can also increase students' knowledge of nursing theory, research and scientific processes. This can help prepare them to pursue a doctoral degree in nursing, such as a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree.
What Are the Admission Requirements?
All applicants to the program must:
- Have an overall undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 or better.
- Have successfully completed a Master of Science in Nursing degree from an NLNAC-, ACEN- or CCNE-accredited nursing school.
- Have verification of current, unencumbered licensure to practice as a registered nurse in Nevada.
Applying to the PMHNP certificate program at the University of Nevada, Reno requires completing a Graduate Special application. Students should also prepare a statement of intent and secure three letters of reference to send to Stephanie DeBoor, Associate Dean of graduate programs at the Orvis School of Nursing, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Both schools must receive all application materials on or before March 1 for consideration for the fall semester. An interview may also be required.
Interested applicants who are not current students of the University of Nevada, Reno can apply now to the University. Those who would simply like to connect with a program representative can complete the form below to get more information.
Related Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- RN to BSN
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Clinical Nurse Leader, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Nursing Education, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing/Master of Public Health (MSN/MPH)
Contact Orvis School of Nursing
|Location||William N. Pennington Health Sciences|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557