Graduate student clubs and organization forms and FAQ
Club recognition form
We have transitioned to Pack Life, students will need to register their club through pack life. Please find all instructional slides on how to register a club through Nevada Box.
Club funding request form
GSA-recognized clubs and organizations are eligible for up to a $500 reimbursement per academic year for events, socials, conventions, or any GSA-approved event. We have transitioned to Pack Life, students will need to apply for funding through pack life. Please find all instructional slides on how to apply for funding through Nevada Box.
University tax exemption form
The GSA and the University do not reimburse sales tax to any club or organization. As a GSA-recognized club or organization, you are encouraged to bring a tax exemption form along when purchasing event items to avoid the out-of-pocket cost of sales tax.
Student group reimbursement form
In order to be reimbursed for a GSA-approved and funded event, the purchases that you make must be tax-free. Therefore you will want to print out the university tax exemption form and show it to the vendor at the time of purchase. THE UNIVERSITY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE WILL REIMBURSE TAX. Furthermore, the GSA will only make the reimbursement to one individual per event. The person who is receiving the reimbursement is responsible for filling out the reimbursement form in Pack Life. Please note: Non-itemized receipts will not be accepted.
Starting a new club FAQ
Any University of Nevada, Reno graduate student who is enrolled in a program that pays fees to the GSA can start a club as long as there is a faculty advisor and a defined executive committee made completely of graduate students. The graduate club should be able to show legitimate evidence of significant graduate student membership in the said club.
- Form an executive committee consisting of graduate students.
- Develop a constitution.
- The club must be approved for recognition by the Clubs and Organizations Committee which meets before every council meeting at 6 pm in the JCSU.
- For a new club that seeks recognition, the presence of a representative from the club is mandatory at the Clubs and Organizations committee meeting once they are notified and their request for recognition is placed on the agenda.
New clubs seeking recognition from the Graduate Student Association may do so at any point during an academic year. We ask that existing GSA-recognized clubs apply for re-recognition for by October 31 each year thereafter.
Club funding FAQ
Only clubs that have been recognized by the Graduate Student Association Clubs and Organizations Committee are eligible to receive GSA Funding.
There are two ways to claim GSA Club Funding:
- You may make the purchases yourself and submit receipts to Allison Ferguson in the Graduate Student Association for reimbursement. Students who wish to utilize the reimbursement route must complete the online student group reimbursement form located in the clubs and organizations forms above. Reimbursements can’t be split among numerous students, only one student may apply for reimbursement.
- Make an appointment with Allison Dansby to make the purchase for you with the department purchase card. Allison can also accompany you to the specified store to make the purchase for you. Please make arrangements with her to utilize the department purchase card at least one week prior to the date of your event. The department purchasing card is never given out to anyone.
Typically refunds are completed within 2-3 business days from the date of submitted receipts. Once you receive a confirmation email stating the reimbursement has been completed, please allow at least two weeks for processing. If you are an employee of NSHE and enrolled in direct deposit you will get the reimbursement via direct deposit. If you are not an employee of the NSHE system, then you will have to register as a supplier with the NSHE Supplier Lite System and a reimbursement will be completed to you and a check will be mailed to address listed in our supplier lite registration.
GSA club funding cannot be used for the following: alcohol, honorariums, gifts, prizes, etc. We do not cover tips on restaurant bills or associated parking charges. Furthermore, all purchases made must be tax exempt, as the Graduate Student Association will not refund taxes on purchases. Additionally, ALL receipts must be itemized.