Ways to give

Donate to the Graduate Student Emergency Fund

The Graduate Student Association at the University of Nevada, Reno helps graduate students with everything from professional development to providing need-based services and awards.

Through the Graduate Student Emergency Fund, The Graduate Student Association can provide needed financial support to students and help ensure they can continue their education.  Students have utilized this emergency scholarship to assist in covering emergency medical situations, as well as paying for monthly utilities, food, and related expenses. In the 2019-2020 academic year, approximately 75 graduate students applied to receive emergency funding, many due to circumstances precipitated by COVID-19. During this same time period, the GSA utilized its own funding to provide over $25,000.00 in Emergency Grants to graduate students.

By providing this emergency support, The Graduate Student Association can continue to help students thrive in a 21st-century student environment and provide an outstanding educational experience that enables students to achieve their career goals successfully.

Talk with our director about how to give to the emergency fund

Donate household items to graduate students in need

If you are interested in donating items, we can arrange to pick up gently used furniture and transfer them to our storage facility. Please complete the form request button below, and we will get back to you within 3-4 business days. The most requested items are couches, computer-friendly desks, chairs, dining tables and drawers. We do NOT accept used mattresses/bedding (per state law), computers/monitors, food, clothes, kids' toys, pet items, electronics, kitchen items, or books. We reserve the right to refuse items on the basis of current need and the physical condition of your item(s). Items should be clean and free from smoke, pet stains, other large stains, cracks, tears, and other damage beyond expected daily wear.

Please complete this form to request to donate household items

Additional information for household items donors

  • Inclement weather policy – In the event of inclement weather near the time of your appointment, a representative from the Graduate Student Association will contact you at least 2 hours before your appointment to reschedule your pick up. As representatives of the University of Nevada, Reno the safety of our Household Items Program workers is paramount, and we do not allow them to work in weather situations that are considered threatening or dangerous.
  • Condition of furniture – We accept gently used furniture items and have the right to refuse items that are broken or in poor condition.
  • Risk of injury – Any items being donated must be on a ground floor and easily accessible by our HIP Student Workers. We do not allow them to take furniture up and down stairwells as this poses risk of serious injury as well as the potential for damage.
  • Donation of additional items – Our HIP student workers can only take items that were arranged prior to the pickup appointment. If you have additional items you would like to donate that were not scheduled for your appointment you must submit another donation request form for any additional items.
  • Tax donation – At your appointment you will be given a UNR Tax Donation Form that you may fill out and return to the UNR Foundation. The address is listed on the bottom of the Gift in Kind Form, once you have mailed it in, the foundation will send you a receipt for your taxes.

If you have any questions, please contact the Household Items Program via email or by calling our office at (775) 327-5190