Grant FAQs

  • How do I calculate my daily rate for overload?

    A-contract faculty members are under contract for the full calendar year (12 months).

    B-contract (9 or 10 months) faculty members are under contract for the academic year, usually 168 or 169 days.  B-contract faculty are eligible to receive overload salary for time worked on non-contract days. There are usually 81 or 82 non-contract days available for overload assignments. Information on the number of contract and non-contract days available can be found on the University of Nevada, Reno Human Resources website.

    You can determine your daily rate by looking up your compensation in your Workday profile.  Take your base pay salary divided by the number of  contract days (168 or 169).

  • How do I determine fringe rates?

    Visit the Sponsored Projects website for the most recent rates. 

    If you are paying faculty overload, you will need to determine if part of the overload will go toward retirement (EDA).  If this is the case, you will utilize the professional rate and need to ensure the Post-Award Specialist is informed about this information prior to May 1 for first summer session or July 1 for second summer session.  Period Activity Pay for EDA needs to be through all Workday approvals prior to May 5 and July 5.  Otherwise fringe will be charged as overload without retirement, which is a lower fringe rate.

  • How do I determine F&A rates?

    Visit the Sponsored Projects website for the most recent rates. 

    You will need to determine if your grant is Research, Instruction, or Other.

  • How do I access InfoEd?

    Please visit the InfoEd website.  You will need to participate in InfoEd Proposal Development Training prior to receiving access.

  • How do I determine travel per diem rates?

    The University utilizes GSA per diem rates.  These rates are also included in Workday when spend authorizations and expense reports are created.

  • Once my grant is funded, how do I access it in Workday?

    You should receive a Workday notification when your award is set up.  You can click on the notification, type the award number into the Search box, or click the My Awards worklet.

  • How do I know how much money I have?

    In Workday, you can access the My Award Budget to Actuals by Ledger Account. Although, this information is not always current as there might be transactions pending approval.  It is best to contact the Post-Award Specialist.

  • What are the procedures for travel?

    If you are traveling in-state/out-of-state a Spend Authorization will need to be completed by the Post-Award Specialist prior to traveling.  To do this you will need to provide an estimated amount of your expenses (e.g., transportation, hotel, registration, per diem, etc.), as well as the purpose for traveling.  If you are travelling to a conference, you will also need a conference registration agenda that includes the location and dates of the conference. 

     If you are traveling internationally, an International Travel Request will need to be completed at least 30 days prior to departure.  Please provide a copy to the Post-Award Specialist if you choose to complete this yourself.

    Once your trip has concluded, you will need to give all your itemized receipts to the Post-Award Specialist for processing an Expense Report for reimbursement.

  • How to I request a no-cost extension?

    Please contact the Pre-Award Specialist immediately with the award number, grant worktag, and the purpose of the request.

  • What is the College of Education & Human Development course buyout process?

    During the proposal process, the PI will need to write in a minimum of 12% of the faculty members salary per course release plus fringe.  (Visit the Sponsored Projects website for the most recent fringe rates.)  They will also need to inform the program coordinator and division director.  Once the award is funded, the faculty member’s role statement will need to be revised.

    Once the award is funded, the faculty member needs to email the COEHD Fiscal and HR Officer with the details of the grant worktag, total amount to be paid, and length of time.  They will process the changes in Workday which will release state funding to be used to hire the LOA.  After this is completed, the Dean’s Office will process a transfer of 40% (less 50% of LOA) to the faculty members F&A or grant incentive worktag to be used at his/her discretion, within university policies, and will roll over from year to year.