Proposal Routing and Approval
All sponsored project proposals and/or applications must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) prior to being submitted to the sponsor.
- OSP assists the principal investigator (PI) by reviewing the proposal for compliance with sponsor guidelines and University of Nevada, Reno (University) requirements.
- OSP has the legal and fiduciary responsibility to ensure compliance with all University, sponsor, state and federal regulations, laws, and policies.
The full proposal must arrive at OSP a minimum of five (5) full working days prior to submission deadline. This lead time allows OSP to fully review the sponsor’s requirements and the proposal. Further, any revisions to a previously submitted proposal must also be reviewed by OSP prior to submission to the sponsor.
Please note: For proposals that are sent to sponsoring agencies without OSP review and approval or are given to OSP with less than 24 hours to review, the following applies:
- The University reserves the right to withdraw the proposal.
- The University has the right to decline the award if funded.
- The University has the right to renegotiate the terms and conditions, budget, resources, etc., before accepting the award.
Note: An award will not be accepted if the proposal contains elements that are not in compliance with University policy, has objectionable terms and conditions, requires resources not approved prior to the proposal submission, fails to include the appropriate F&A cost in the budget or does not receive appropriate chair and/or dean approvals.
Proposal Entry and Routing Process
The University utilizes electronic software system, InfoEd, as a repository for sponsored projects proposals. Further, the internal approval routing process occurs within InfoEd. Please let your assigned OSP research administrator know about your intention to submit a proposal to an external sponsor as soon as possible. Research administrators are available to answer your questions regarding proposal requirements, budget preparation, University forms and InfoEd. OSP will officially approve proposals only after the internal routing process is completed in InfoEd. Proposals can be submitted to the sponsor only after OSP has received the proposal.
All proposals must be entered into InfoEd and routed for internal approvals through InfoEd. One must first attend InfoEd training in order to become an InfoEd user.