International travel fund
The Honors College is pleased to offer to its students a fund to assist those who wish to travel internationally on one of our program-sponsored or partnered trips!
Applications will be reviewed twice a year, following two deadlines: October 1 (for wintermester and spring trips) and March 1 (for summer and fall trips). Application decisions will be rendered by October 15 and March 15.
The application review committee will be comprised of the following individuals:
- Honors College Associate Dean
- Resident Assistant, Honors College Living and Learning Community
- Honors Student Council Officer
- Honors international trip faculty/staff member
The application will ask if you receive specific grants or plan to apply for additional funding. Please take a look at these links so you are familiar with each of them prior to completing the application:
- Finanical aid grants
- Program opportunities - fellowships
- USAC Scholarship
- Boren Scholarship
- Gilman Scholarship
- Critical Language Scholarship
Students interested in applying for financial assistance will participate in a two-step process:
Step 1: Complete online application form
Step 2: Interviews
Depending on the number of applicants, in-person interviews/conversations between application finalists and the review committee may be requested. These would typically occur a week after each application deadline.
- This fund is available to Honors College students only.
- Only Honors College international trips are open for funding consideration.
- Scholarships can be used for airfare, course tuition costs, required taxis/ground transportation, airline-imposed baggage fees, educational supply costs, accommodation costs, or anticipated meal expenditures. They may not be used for: airline upgrades from main economy, in-country or 3rd-country transportation or lodging not required by educational program, purchase of supplementary insurance, home-country expenses still required to be paid while abroad (rent, car, phone, whatever).
- The amount of money awarded to applicants will vary depending upon demand and student need, though typically awards will not cover a majority of the travel costs involved. As such, applicants are urged to identify multiple funding sources.
- Funds will be awarded to students via credit to student account. Any student who is awarded funds that does not travel on a trip will be required to refund the Honors College their award no later than 3 months following distribution of the award.
- Students may apply twice in one year but will not be awarded funds more than once.
- Priority consideration will be given to Honors College students who are currently residing in, or used to reside in, the Honors College Living and Learning Community.
- Decisions of the review committee are final.
Honors College students are encouraged to enroll in HON 410 following their trip. This class provides students returning from international trips valuable reflection and integration tools and will enhance future international travel experiences. Students will also have opportunities to consider international-themed honors signature experience options and share their cross-cultural competency with others in and out of the Honors College community.