"What keeps me going is the hope that in my lifetime high performance/low damage structural engineering techniques will become commonplace. There is nothing better than working with a graduate student on the brink of discovery. In my spare time, I try to get to the top of more mountains."
News & announcements
- July 2022 – Dr. Ryan awarded McKenzie Endowed Professorship
- July 2022 – Construction commences on the 10-story mass timber structure at UCSD. Follow progress on the UCSD webcam live stream video.
- June 2022 – Dr. Ryan presents findings on the Alaska DOT&PF-funded project to test water and ice contaminated friction pendulum bearings to the AASHTO T2: Bearings committee and T3: Seismic committee at the annual Committee on Bridges and Structures meeting in Pittsburgh.
- November 2021 — NHERI Tallwood Team releases video animation of the 10-story structure mass timber structure to be erected and shaken at UCSD in 2022.
- January 2021 — Futurum Careers features Dr. Ryan and collaborators in an article about the NHERI TallWood Project. Futurum, with a large K-12 international audience, aims at inspiring future generations to find their passion in STEM fields.
- September 2019 — CEE Department awarded $751K GAANN Grant from the Department of Education to fund Ph.D. fellowships under the theme: Rebuilding the Nation’s Structural Infrastructure for Resilience to Extreme Events. Dr. Ryan is the Project Director for this program, which is a collaborative effort of CEE and Engineering Education. Learn more about the GAANN program.
- May 2019 — US Forest Service announces 2019 Wood Innovation Grant Awards; UNR/Dr. Ryan awarded project "Advancing Tall Mass Timber Buildings Through Seismic Resilience Testing."
- April 2019 — NHERI TallWood Project releases details of planned 2021 shake table test.
- October 2018 — Dr. Ryan gives webinar for NHERI@Lehigh Webinar series, Lessons Learned from 3-dimensional Shake Table Testing of a Full-Scale Seismically-Isolated Building.
- Seismic isolation of buildings and bridges
- Influence of vertical ground shaking on the seismic response of structural and nonstructural components
- Fundamental dynamic response of structures to 3-dimensional ground shaking
- Low damage or damage tolerant lateral systems using innovative materials
- Low damage detailing of nonstructural components
- Dynamic response of buildings with post-tensioned rocking wall systems
- Influence of soil-structure interaction on vertical ground shaking
- Eltahawy, Walaa, Ryan, Keri L., Cesmeci, Sevki, Gordaninejad, Faramarz, “Displacement/velocity-based control of a liquid spring – MR damper for vertical isolation”, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 2019.
- Eltahawy, Walaa, Ryan, Keri L., Cesmeci, Sevki, Gordaninejad, Faramarz, “Parameters affecting dynamics of three-dimensional seismic isolation”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 2018.
- Ryan, Keri L., Button, Martin R., Mayes, Ronald L. “ASCE 7-16 lateral force distribution equations for static design of seismically isolated buildings”, Journal of Structural Engineering, 145(2):04018258, 2018.
- Ryan, Keri L., Okazaki, Taichiro, Coria, Camila B., Sato, Eiji, Sasaki, Tomohiro, “Response of hybrid isolation system during a shake table experiment of a full scale isolated building”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 47(11):2214-2232. 2018.
- Guzman Pujols, Jean C., Ryan, Keri L. “Computational simulation of slab vibration and horizontal-vertical coupling in a full-scale testbed subjected to 3D shaking at E-Defense”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 47(2):438-459, 2017.
- Zargar, Hamed, Ryan, Keri L., Rawlinson, Taylor, Marshall, Justin D. “Evaluation of a passive gap damper to control displacements in a shaking test of a seismically-isolated 3-story frame”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 46(1):51-71, 2016.
- Mohebbi, Alireza, Ryan, Keri. L., Sanders, David H. “Seismic protection of the piers of integral bridges using sliding bearings”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 21(8):1365-1384, 2016.
- Cutfield, Matt R., Ryan, Keri L., Ma, Quincy. “Comparative life cycle analysis of conventional and base-isolated buildings”, Earthquake Spectra, EERI, 32(1):323-343. 2016.
- Guzman Pujols, Jean C., Ryan, Keri L. “Development of generalized fragility functions for seismic induced content disruption”, Earthquake Spectra, EERI, 32(3):1303-1324. 2015.
- Ryan, Keri L., Soroushian, Siavash, Maragakis, E. Manos, Sato, Eiji, Sasaki, Tomohiro, Okazaki, Taichiro. “Seismic simulation of an integrated ceiling-partition wall-piping system at E-Defense I: Three-dimensional structural response and base isolation”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 142(2):04015130, 2015.
- Soroushian, Siavash, Maragakis, E. Manos, Ryan, Keri L., Sato, Eiji, Sasaki, Tomohiro, Okazaki, Taichiro, Mosqueda, Gilberto. “Seismic simulation of an integrated ceiling-partition wall-piping system at E-Defense. II: Evaluation of nonstructural damage and fragilities”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 142(2):04015131, 2015.
- Ryan, Keri L., Dao, Nhan D. “Influence of vertical ground shaking on horizontal response of seismically-isolated buildings with friction bearings”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 142(1): 04015089, 2015.
- Dao, Nhan D. and Ryan, Keri L. “Computational simulation of a full-scale fixed-base and isolated-base steel moment frame building tested at E-Defense”, J. Struct. Eng., 140, Special Issue: Computational Simulation in Structural Engineering, A4014005, 2014.
- Dao, Nhan D., Ryan, Keri L., Sato, Eiji and Sasaki, Tomohiro. “Predicting the displacement of triple pendulumTM bearings in a full-scale shaking experiment using a three-dimensional element”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 42(11):1677-1695, 2013.
- Warn, Gordon P. and Ryan, Keri L. “A review of seismic isolation for buildings: historical development and research needs”, Buildings (Open Access), Invited manuscript for journal special issue, 2(3):300-325, 2012.
- CEE 120: Sustainable Infrastructure Systems
- CEE 372: Mechanics of Solids
- CEE 381: Structural Analysis
- CEE 482/682: Design of Timber Structures
- CEE 486/686: Computational Structural Analysis
- CEE 704: Finite Element Analysis
- CEE 721: Nonlinear Structural Analysis