Records management policy
At the University of Nevada, Reno, the Registrar oversees the Admissions and Records department that serves as the custodian of institutional academic records of student admissions, enrollment, and graduation. The University follows the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Record Retention Policy based on AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) and FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). University specific policies are available in the University Administrative Manual.
- Electronic documents: All students have an electronic file in the hosted OnBase document management system. Within each file, received documents are retained by document type such as high school transcript, immunization, enrollment memo, grade change, FERPA release, etc. Each document type may contain an automated retention and disposition process as appropriate in accordance with NSHE and University policies. Security to each document type is maintained by Associate Registrar of Operations in accordance with OIT (Office of Information Technology) security policies.
- Student Information System: An onsite environment of Peoplesoft Campus Solutions serves as the University SIS (student information system). Peoplesoft contains student records of admissions, enrollment, financial aid, charges and payments, as well as degree progress and graduation. Peoplesoft also stores a record of transcript production and release. Security to each data type is assigned to security roles in accordance with OIT security policies. A disaster recovery system is in place as well as multiple environments with regular refreshes of data. A reporting data warehouse is also refreshed nightly and stores historic census files of primary student record data points.
- Historic transcripts: Copies of transcripts of academic work prior to data being stored in Peoplesoft are stored off-site with Puliz Records Management in addition to being stored within OnBase electronically. The Associate Registrar of Operations, Registrar, and Associate Vice President of Enrollment Services have the ability to access.
- National Student Clearinghouse: The University partners with the National Student Clearinghouse for enrollment reporting, enrollment verification, and degree verifications. Records are kept by the National Student Clearinghouse and are available to the Associate Registrar for Operations, Registrar, and Associate Vice President.
- Record of student correspondence is maintained in accordance with NSHE/University policy within hosted Slate and TargetX recruitment platforms, TeamDynamix incident management system, and Office 365.
- University Catalogs: Hard copies of annual University Catalogs are maintained in perpetuity within Admissions and Records as well as with Library Services. Electronic copies of the University Catalog are archived annually and available on the UNR website beginning with 2012-2013.
- Curriculum Approval: Electronic curriculum approvals for new courses/programs or changes are maintained within the Curriculog hosted system beginning in 2012-2013 and in archive with the Office of the Provost.
- Commencement programs: Hard copies of each commencement program are maintained within Admissions and Records as well as archived with Library Services.
- Student Information System: Academic calendars, refund calendars, class schedules, and course enrollment data are stored within the Peoplesoft Campus Solutions onsite student information system. Security to each data type is assigned to security roles in accordance with OIT security policies. A disaster recovery system is in place as well as multiple environments with regular refreshes of data.