Undergraduate student leave of absence policy

The University of Nevada, Reno strongly encourages degree seeking students to be continuously enrolled. But if circumstances dictate a break in enrollment, the University's leave of absence program assists and encourages students to return and graduate after an absence of up to two consecutive semesters from the University. (Summer sessions are excluded from the continuous enrollment requirement.)

Students who participate in the leave of absence program are not required to reapply for admission or pay a reapplication fee and will have the opportunity to register/enroll with continuing students for the semester in which they intend to return to the University.

Degree-seeking students who leave the university without a degree or an approved leave of absence must undergo formal readmission to the University, to include submission of a new application, application fee and any necessary transcripts.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for the leave of absence program, a student must be eligible to register for classes and meet the following criteria:

  1. Be a degree-seeking undergraduate student
  2. Be registered during the semester immediately prior to the beginning of the Leave of Absence.
    1. A student who was admitted as a new first semester freshman or transfer student but did not attend will not be eligible for a leave of absence. Instead, he or she should contact the Office of Admissions and Records.
    2. A student who was readmitted but did not attend will not be eligible for a leave of absence. Instead, he or she should contact the Office of Admissions and Records.
    3. A student who is participating in a University-sanctioned study abroad program need not apply for a leave of absence; however, a student who is participating in a study abroad program that is not sanctioned by the University should take advantage of the LOA leave of absence program, if eligible.
  3. Be in academic good standing, on academic distress, or on continuing academic distress with his or her college.
  4. Have no hold (e.g., disciplinary, financial, testing, etc.) which would restrict registration. Students with financial holds may be given consideration for a leave of absence if authorized by the Cashier's Office.
  5. Have submitted any outstanding high school and/or transfer transcripts, if prior admission and/or continued enrollment was contingent upon receipt of those transcripts.

Leave of absence process

  1. Review the policy and complete the leave of absence request form. The policy is described above, and the form is available on the Admissions and Records Forms page. Submit the form to the Office of Admissions and Records, unless requesting an extension beyond two consecutive semesters of a previously approved leave, in which case the form should be returned to your college advising office for signature first.
  2. Consider scheduling an appointment with a college/school representative to discuss the following:
    1. Impact on progress toward degree
    2. Catalog year and status after leave of absence
    3. Academic good standing issues
    4. Transfer policies, incomplete grades, agency requirements (e.g., state licensing/certification) and other academic issues, if applicable
    5. If you are considering changing your major, complete the process prior to your leave of absence