Spring 2018 Commencement
All ceremonies will take place at the University Quadrangle. Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctoral degrees will be awarded at each ceremony. Tickets not required.
Spring 2018 Commencement Dates
Thursday, May 17
College of Engineering
Orvis School of Nursing
College of Science
Friday, May 18
College of Business
School of Community Health Sciences
Division of Health Sciences (Social Work)
School of Medicine (Speech Pathology)
Friday, May 18
College of Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources
College of Education
Saturday, May 19
Reynolds School of Journalism
College of Liberal Arts
Morning Event Schedule
- 7:30 AM - Graduates report to their college lineup on either the Northeast or Southeast corners of the Quad
- 8:00 AM - Ceremony begins with Procession: Graduates, Faculty and Presidential Party
- 11:00 AM - Recession: Presidential Party, Faculty and Graduates
Evening Event Schedule
- 4:30 PM - Graduates report to their college lineup on either the Northeast or Southeast corners of the Quad
- 5:00 PM - Ceremony begins with Procession: Graduates, Faculty and Presidential Party
- 7:30 PM - Recession: Presidential Party, Faculty and Graduates
*Times are tentative and subject to change
The ceremony will take place on the University campus. The University campus is located at 1664 N. Virginia Street, Reno 89557, near the junction of I-80 and I-580/U.S. 395. Those traveling by car are urged to check Nevada Department of Transportation Road Conditions for information related to road construction and closures.
- Driving from the East or West: Travel on I-80, take Exit 13 Virginia Street, turn north on Virginia Street and the University will be on the right.
- Driving from the North: Take US-395/I-580 South, take Exit 72 US-395 Bus S/N Virginia Street, travel south and the University will be on the left.
- Driving from the South: Take I-580/US-395 toward Reno, merge onto I-80W toward Reno/Sacramento, take Exit 13 Virginia Street, turn north and the University will be on the right.
General parking will be available in the West Stadium Parking Complex, which is north of Lawlor Events Center, as well as in the Green, Blue and Tan parking lots on the North side of campus. Public parking areas are designated for use by faculty, graduates, families and their friends. The shuttle service will be operating on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from the West Stadium Garage and the blue, green and tan lots for all guests. Shuttle schedules and information can be accessed via Parking and Transportation Services. Parking and Transportation Services can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walking directions from Parking Garages to Commencement Ceremonies
- General Parking is located at West Stadium Parking Garage.
- From the West Stadium Parking Garage, exit south on either the 2nd or 3rd floors.
- You will see Mackay Stadium on your left hand side when you exit the garage, turn right towards Legacy Hall and head down the hill.
- Navigate South on the sidewalk towards the crosswalk. After you have crossed the street, stay on the sidewalk next to the roundabout.
- You will see the JCSU on your left hand side and the Fitness Center on your hand side right. Keep walking down the sidewalk across from the Fitness Center towards the Brian J. Whalen Parking Garage/Student Services Building (Knowledge Center will be on your left as you go South).
- A disabled shuttle service will be provided from the Brian J. Whalen Parking complex as well.
- If walking, from the Brian J. Whalen Parking Complex, you can walk heading South. Turn Right on path 1 and keep heading straight. You will pass the William J. Raggio building on your left hand side and the Church of Fine Arts building on your right hand side.
- Continuing South bound, you will approach the William N. Pennington Student Achievement Center. The William N. Pennington Student Achievement Center building will be closed, you will not be able to walk through it. You will need to go around the William N. Pennington Student Achievement Center either on the East side or West side. From the South Patio of the William N. Pennington Student Achievement Center you will see the University Quadrangle slightly towards the left hand side.
Restrooms, First Aid and Medical Services Locations
Restrooms for general guests are located in between Ross Hall and Thompson Building, which is West of the Quadrangle.
First Aid/Medical Services are located south of the Jones Center Building in the Silver 1 parking lot. Limited mobility and disabled shuttle services drop off area are located at Morrill Hall (south of the Quadrangle) and at Pennington Student Achievement Center (north of the Quadrangle in the Silver 5 parking lot).
- Disabled parking will be available on levels 1 through 3 of the Brian Whalen Parking Complex. There will be a shuttle service available to transport disabled guests from the SE corner of Brian Whalen to the limited mobility drop off area. A return shuttle will be available after the ceremony. Please follow directional signage on Virginia Street to access the disabled parking area.
- Limited mobility drop off area will be located at Morrill Hall next to the Quadrangle.
- Permit holders for the Brian Whalen Parking Complex will park on levels 4 and 5 on Friday.
Another option is to park downtown and for 25 cents ride the Sierra Spirit bus to campus. The closest stop is on Virginia Street near the Davidson Academy of Nevada (Jot Travis Building).
Inclement Weather Plan
In case of inclement weather for Spring Commencement, the ceremony will be moved to Lawlor Events Center. Faculty, staff and graduates will enter through the Ticket Office entrance. Spectators will enter through the upper-concourse.