Family & Guests
Getting to the Ceremony
Travel by Air
The Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) is located just five miles from the University campus. The airport is home to seven airlines with convenient access to most of the country. If you are staying in one of the downtown casinos (i.e. Circus Circus, Silver Legacy, Eldorado, Whitney Peak etc.), these casinos generally have an airport shuttle available to transport family from the airport to the hotel. From the hotel, they may then take the Sierra Spirit public transport up to campus for the event for 25 cents each way.
The ceremony will take place on the University campus. The University campus is located at 1664 N. Virginia Street, Reno 89557, near the junction of I-80 and I-580/U.S. 395. Those traveling by car are urged to check Nevada Department of Transportation Road Conditions for information related to road construction and closures.
- Driving from the East or West: Travel on I-80, take Exit 13 Virginia Street, turn north on Virginia Street and the University will be on the right.
- Driving from the North: Take US-395/I-580 South, take Exit 72 US-395 Bus S/N Virginia Street, travel south and the University will be on the left.
- Driving from the South: Take I-580/US-395 toward Reno, merge onto I-80W toward Reno/Sacramento, take Exit 13 Virginia Street, turn north and the University will be on the right.
The University does not recommend any one hotel accommodation for special events. There are several downtown casinos/hotels which are located near campus, which may be offering special rates. Be sure to inquire about any special rates before booking. From downtown, the Sierra Spirit can transport guests to the University area for 25 cents each way. For further information regarding the area's lodging, dining and entertainment go to Visit Reno Tahoe.
If you cannot attend the ceremony, make sure to watch via Live Stream
Attending the Ceremony
Families, friends, and the general public are cordially invited to attend the Commencement ceremony. Tickets are not required and seating is on a first come, first served basis and generally fills up relatively quickly. In order to get "good" seating it is best to arrive 45 to 60 minutes before the ceremony begins. Seating opens an hour and a half prior to the start of each ceremony. Taping off and/or reserving chairs the night before is not allowed and will be removed early in the morning.
Interpreters for the deaf will be present at the ceremony. This seating is clearly marked and anyone who has a hearing impairment is welcome to sit in this area. Seating in this area is on a first come, first served basis. Please follow the signs or ask a Student Ambassador for the location of the designated seating. Captioning is also available on personal hand-held devices by using the QR code or the link in the program.
Seating for individuals with disabilities is available. This area is on a first come, first served basis. Reservations are not required. Guests may have one attendant per person sit with them.
Limited mobility guests may use the drop-off area. Winter ceremony drop-off is located on the first level of the West Stadium parking complex. Spring ceremony drop-off is located near Morrill Hall, on the south side of the Quadrangle. Ushers will be available to provide a wheelchair escort upon request.
Service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and in accordance with University policy are allowed at the ceremony. All other animals are prohibited from the University commencement ceremonies. See the University Administrative Manual 5,470 for additional information.
Gift Ideas from the Nevada Wolf Shop
Nevada graduation gifts are available at the Nevada Wolf Shop which is located in the Joe Crowley Student Union. The bookstore will be open beginning at 7:00 a.m. the morning of commencement. If you are from out of state you can have items shipped to you prior to coming to the ceremony by visiting the Nevada Wolf Shop website.
The Nevada Wolf Shop will have a booth located near the Quadrangle with flowers, leis, alumni paraphernalia, graduation caps/tassels, and 2016 graduate shirts for purchase (while supplies last). Some popular gift ideas are presented below:
The bookstore offers exclusive diploma frames.
Alumni License Plate Frames
One of the bookstore’s most popular items is the “Alumni: University of Nevada” license plate frame.
For the hard-to-buy-for graduate, gift certificates can be purchased for any amount between $5 and $500.
Popular choices include video iPods and MacBooks.
- Make plans with your graduate – Finding graduates following the ceremony can be difficult in the crowd. It is recommended that guests make plans before the ceremony on a place to meet afterward.
- Be flexible – Times given for the recession are approximate. If graduation parties are planned following the commencement, be aware that the recession could be earlier or later than the scheduled time.
- Prohibited items – Alcohol is prohibited on campus during the commencement ceremony. Balloons and noise makers are not allowed at the ceremony.
- All bags are subject to search – For safety reasons, all bags are subject to search by University Police.
- Event Food and Beverage - Food and beverage will be available for purchase at concession stands located near the Quadrangle.