Human Subjects Research and Institutional Review Boards
- IRB Board Meetings - Info and Schedule
- Belmont Report
- Title 45 CFR Part 46 (DHHS)
- Federal OHRP Educational Videos
- Federal OHRP IRB Guidebook
- DHHS Policy Index
- DHHS Decision Charts
- Expedited Review Categories
- Title 21 CFR Part 50 (FDA)
- Title 21 CFR Part 56 (FDA)
- Completing a First-rate Review: Your Responsibilities as an IRB Reviewer (PPT/PDF)
The University's Institutional Review Boards (IRB), through the Research Integrity Office, are responsible for protecting the rights and welfare of human research participants for all research activities conducted by, or under the supervision of University and affiliate faculty, staff and students regardless of the funding and the location of the project. The jurisdiction the IRBs covers all research involving human subjects conducted at the University of Nevada, Reno, the University School of Medicine, and affiliate organizations (i.e. Truckee Meadows Community College, Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center, VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System, Nevada Department of Health & Human Services).
To receive Federal Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) support for research involving human subjects, institutions must have a Federalwide Assurance (FWA). FWAs require that an institution will comply with the federal regulations in 45 CFR part 46, including requirements for an Institutional Review Board (IRB) to provide oversight of research involving human participants.
The University of Nevada, Reno Federalwide Assurance (FWA) is FWA00002306.
The University has two internal IRBs registered with OHRP:
- Biomedical IRB for biomedical research and clinical trials: IRB00000215
- Social Behavioral IRB for social, behavioral, and educational research: IRB00000216