Human Subjects Research and Institutional Review Boards
- IRB Board Meetings - Info and Schedule
- E-ROC User Guide
- Belmont Report
- Title 45 CFR Part 46 (DHHS)
- Federal OHRP Educational Videos
- Federal OHRP IRB Guidebook
- DHHS Policy Index
- DHHS Decision Charts
- Expedited Review Categories
- Title 21 CFR Part 50 (FDA)
- Title 21 CFR Part 56 (FDA)
- Completing a First-rate Review: Your Responsibilities as an IRB Reviewer (PPT/PDF)
- IRBNet and Instructions
- IRB Process FAQs
- Data Safety Monitoring Plan (PPT/PDF)
- University Data Management Plan
- Use of a Device in a Clinical Trial
- K-12 School-based Research
- Research at Veterans Affairs Institutions
- International Research
- Comparison Chart: Human Research vs. Program Evaluation, et al.
The University recognizes the Research Integrity Office as the sole entity with the authority to make exempt and "not human subject research" determinations.
No human subject research conducted by University/Affiliate researchers (including student research) may be initiated until the RIO publishes written documentation of exempt determination or IRB approval.
To receive Federal Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) support for research involving human subjects, institutions must have a Federalwide Assurance (FWA). FWAs require that an institution will comply with the federal regulations in 45 CFR part 46, including requirements for an Institutional Review Board (IRB) to provide oversight of research involving human participants.
The University of Nevada, Reno Federalwide Assurance (FWA) is FWA00002306.
The University has two internal IRBs registered with OHRP:
- Biomedical IRB for biomedical research and clinical trials: IRB00000215
- Social Behavioral IRB for social, behavioral, and educational research: IRB00000216