Matthew Strickland is an environmental epidemiologist who works to better understand the population-level health effects of outdoor air pollutant concentrations. He has investigated factors that underlie differences in susceptibility to air pollutants among children; estimated associations of pediatric respiratory disease and adverse pregnancy outcomes with heterogeneous air pollution mixtures in urban, suburban, and rural settings; and worked to quantify the impacts of air pollution exposure measurement error on health association estimates.
Earlier in his career he was supported by an NIH K01 career development award, and he directed one of four projects that comprised the Emory/Georgia Tech EPA Clean Air Research Center. Presently he is leading a study in Reno to estimate the cardiorespiratory health effects of smoke from wildfires (NIH R01ES029528).
- Pennington AF, Strickland MJ, Gass K, Klein M, Sarnat SE, Tolbert PE, Balachandran S, Chang HH, Russell AG, Mulholland JA, Darrow LA. Source-apportioned PM2.5 and cardiorespiratory emergency department visits: accounting for source contribution uncertainty. Epidemiology 2019; 30: 789-798.
- Stowell JD, Geng G, Saikawa E, Chang HH, Fu J, Yang CE, Zhu Q, Liu Y, Strickland MJ. Associations of wildfire-specific PM2.5 exposure with cardiorespiratory events in Colorado 2011-2014. Environ International 2019; 133: 105151.
- Strickland MJ, Lin Y, Darrow LA, Warren JL, Mulholland JA, Chang HH. Associations between ambient air pollutant concentrations and birth weight: a quantile regression analysis. Epidemiology 2019; 30: 624-632.
- Abrams JY, Klein M, Henneman LRF, Sarnat SE, Chang HH, Strickland MJ, Mulholland JA, Russell AG, Tolbert PE. Impact of air pollution control policies on cardiorespiratory emergency department visits, Atlanta, GA 1999-2013. Environ International 2019; 126: 627-634.
- Levy MC, Collender PA, Carlton EJ, Chang HH, Strickland MJ, Remais JV. Spatial error in rainfall data: consequences for epidemiologic analysis of waterborne diseases. Am J Epidemiol 2019; 188: 950-959.
- Strosnider HM, Chang HH, Darrow LA, Liu Y, Vaidyanathan A, Strickland MJ. Age-specific associations of ozone and PM2.5 with respiratory emergency department visits in the US. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2019; 199: 882-890.
- Nealy BE, Warren JL, Strickland, MJ, Darrow, LA, Chang, HH. Impacts of gestational age uncertainty in estimating associations between preterm birth and ambient air pollution. Environ Epidemiol 2018; 2; e031.
- Pennington AF, Strickland MJ, Klein M, Drews-Botsch C, Hansen C, Darrow LA. Cesarean delivery, childhood asthma, and effect modification by sex: an observational study and meta-analysis. Pediatr Perinatal Epidemiol 2018; 32: 495-503.
- Bates J, Pennington AF, Zhai X, Friberg MD, Metcalf F, Darrow L, Strickland M, Mulholland J, Russell A. Application and evaluation of two model fusion approaches to obtain ambient air pollutant concentrate at a fine spatial resolution (250m) in Atlanta. Environ Model Software 2018; 109: 182-190.
- Girguis MS, Strickland MJ, Hu X, Liu Y, Chang H, Kloog I, Belanoff C, Bartell SM, Vieira VM. Exposure to acute air pollution and risk of bronchiolitis and otitis media for preterm and term infants. Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 2018; 28: 348-357.
- Johnson CY, Howards PP, Strickland MJ, Waller DK, Flanders WD. Multiple bias analysis using logistic regression: an example from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Annals Epidemiol 2018; 28: 510-514.
- Samburova V, Bhattarai C, Strickland M, Darrow L, Angermann J, Son Y, Khlystov A. Aldehydes in exhaled breath during e-cigarette vaping: pilot study results. Toxics 2018; 6: 46.
- Xiao Q, Chen H, Strickland MJ, Kan H, Chang HH, Klein M, Yang C, Meng X, Liu Y. Associations between birth outcomes and maternal PM2.5 exposure in Shanghai: a comparison of three exposure assessment approaches. Environ Int 2018; 117: 226-236.
- Russell A, Tolbert P, Henneman L, Abrams J, Liu C, Klein M, Mulholland J, Sarnat S, Hu Y, Chang H, Odman T, Strickland M, Shen H, Lawal A. Impacts of regulations on air quality and emergency department visits in the Atlanta metropolitan area, 1993-2013. Res Rep Health Eff Inst 2018; 195: 1-120.
- Strickland MJ. Taking another look at ambient coarse particles. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2018; 197: 697-8.
- Kennedy CM, Pennington AF, Darrow LA, Klein M, Zhai X, Bates JT, Russell AG, Hansen C, Tolbert PE, Strickland MJ. Mobile source air pollution exposures during the first year of life and childhood pneumonia, bronchiolitis, and otitis media. Environ Epidemiol 2018; 2: e007.
- Khalili R, Bartell SM, Hu X, Liu Y, Chang HH, Belanoff C, Strickland MJ, Vieira VM. Early-life exposure to PM2.5 and risk of acute asthma clinical encounters among children in Massachusetts: a case-crossover analysis. Environ Health 2018; 17: 20.
- Pennington AF, Strickland MJ, Klein M, Zhai X, Bates JT, Drews-Botsch C, Hansen C, Russell AG, Tolbert PE, Darrow LA. Exposure to mobile source air pollution in early life and childhood asthma incidence: the Kaiser Air Pollution and Pediatric Asthma Study. Epidemiology 2018; 29: 22-30.
- Abrams JY, Weber RJ, Klein M, Sarnat SE, Chang HH, Strickland MJ, Verma V, Fang T, Bates JT, Mulholland JA, Russell AG, Tolbert PE. Associations between ambient fine particulate oxidative potential and cardiorespiratory emergency department visits. Environ Health Perspect 2017; 125: 107008. doi: 10.1289/EHP1545
- Pennington AF, Strickland MJ, Klein M, Zhai X, Russell AG, Hansen C, Darrow LA. Measurement error in mobile source air pollution exposure estimates due to residential mobility during pregnancy. J Expo Sci Epidemiol 2017; 27: 513-20.
- Girguis MS, Strickland MJ, Hu X, Liu Y, Chang HH, Belanoff C, Bartell SM, Vieira VM. Chronic PM2.5 exposure and risk of infant bronchiolitis and otitis media clinical encounters. Int J Hygiene Environ Health 2017; 220: 1055-63.
- Hu X, Belle J, Meng X, Wildani A, Waller L, Strickland M, Liu Y. Estimating PM2.5 concentrations in the conterminous United States using the random forest approach. Environ Sci Technol 2017; 51: 6936-44.
- Flanders WD, Strickland MJ, Klein M. A new method for partial correction for residual confounding in time-series and other observational studies. Am J Epidemiol 2017; 185: 941-9.
- Keller JP, Chang HH, Strickland MJ, Szpiro AA. Measurement error correction for predicted spatiotemporal air pollution exposures. Epidemiology 2017; 28: 338-345. PMC5378630
- Krall JR, Strickland MJ. Recent approaches to estimate associations between source-specific air pollution and health. Curr Environ Health Rep 2017; 4:68-78.
- Hao H, Chang HH, Holmes HA, Mulholland JA, Klein M, Darrow LA, Strickland MJ. 2016. Air pollution and preterm birth in the U.S. State of Georgia (2002-2006): associations with concentrations of 11 ambient air pollutants estimated by combining Community Multiscale Air Quality Model (CMAQ) simulations with stationary monitor measurements. Environmental Health Perspectives 124: 875-80. PMC4892915.
- Pennington AF, Strickland MJ, Freedle KA, Klein M, Drews-Botsch C, Hansen C, Darrow LA. 2016. Evaluating early-life asthma definitions as a marker for subsequent asthma in an electronic medical record setting. Pediatric Allergy Immunology 2016; 27: 591-6. PMC4995117.
- Girguis MS, Strickland MJ, Hu X, Liu Y, Bartell SM, Vieira SM. 2016. Maternal exposure to traffic-related air pollution and birth defects in Massachusetts. Environ Research 146: 1-9. PMC4761511.
- Friberg MD, Zhai XD, Holmes H, Chang HH, Strickland MJ, Sarnat SE, Tolbert PE, Russell AG, Mulholland JA. 2016. Method for fusing observational data and chemical transport model simulations to estimate spatiotemporally resolved ambient air pollution. Environmental Science Technology 2016; 50: 3695-705.
- Fang T, Verma V, Bates JT, Abrams J, Klein M, Strickland MJ, Sarnat SE, Chang HH, Mulholland JA, Tolbert PE, Russell AG, Weber RJ. 2016. Oxidative potential of ambient water-soluble PM2.5 measured by dithiothreitol and ascorbic acid assays in the Southeastern United States: contrasts in sources and health associations. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 2016; 16: 3865-79.
- Xiao Q, Liu Y, Mulholland JA, Russell AG, Darrow LA, Tolbert PE, Strickland MJ. 2016. Pediatric emergency visits and ambient air pollution in the U.S. State of Georgia: a case-crossover study. Environmental Health 15: 115. PMC5124302.
- Strickland MJ, Hao H, Hu X, Chang HH, Darrow LA, Liu Y. 2016. Pediatric emergency visits and short-term changes in PM2.5 concentrations in Georgia. Environmental Health Perspectives 124: 690-6. PMC4858390.
- Liao KJ, Hou X, Strickland MJ. 2016. Resource allocation for mitigating regional air pollution-related mortality: a case study for five cities in the United States. Journal of Air Waste Management Association 2016; 66: 748-757. PMC4960509.
- Alman BL, Pfister GG, Hao H, Hu X, Liu Y, Strickland MJ. 2016. The association of wildfire smoke with respiratory and cardiovascular emergency department visits in Colorado in 2012. Environmental Health 2016; 15: 64. PMC4893210.
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, Emory University, 2007
- M.P.H., Epidemiology, Ohio State University, 2002
- M.A., Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, 2000
- B.A., Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, 2000