CHS 798: Field Studies in Public Health
The purpose of the internship requirement is to provide each MPH graduate with significant practical public health experience in a community-based agency outside of the University. While CEPH specifically mentions state and local health departments above, there are a wide variety of local organizations that would qualify for internship sites. Students must register for a total of three credit hours of CHS 798, and complete 150 total work hours.
This course should not be taken until the student has completed and passed the core courses in public health. Students must complete all applicable documentation and assignments at least one week prior to the last day of the semester. All Master of Public Health students are required to complete an internship to earn their degree from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Student learning objectives
- After completion of this course, students will understand the characteristics and skills needed to succeed as future public health practitioners, researchers, educators, and leaders.
- After completion of this course, students will be able to articulate the knowledge base for public health through research.
- After completion of this course, students will be competent in applying key skills to engage with multiple communities through professional and scholarly service.
- After completion of this course, students will be able to articulate the importance of diversity in multiple public health venues.
- After completion of this course, students will be able to apply their knowledge to develop innovative and effective solutions to public health problems.
Web-based internship management system: Sonia
Students are responsible for finding their own internships.
The School of Public Health has invested in a web-based internship management system called Sonia. Through this system, students will be able to find internships, sign up for interviews, submit their student forms, get enhanced resources, submit their Student Learning Contract, and submit timesheets.
Once you enroll into CHS 798, you should have access to Sonia and can log in using your NetId and University password. If you want early access to the system, please contact your instructor.
If you are having trouble accessing Sonia Online, contact Melanie Flores at email@example.com.