Jenna Dewar (pronouns: she/her/hers) is a self-driven higher education advocate who focuses on engaging with students through compassion, dedication, and determination. Initially, she desired to be an early childhood educator. However, it wasn’t long before she discovered her affinity for the higher education world, collaborating and engaging directly with others to actualize one common vision: to advocate the power of learning and ultimately helping others thrive as a result. She has been teaching at the University since 2009.
She works with students to balance classroom learning and experiential learning opportunities including practicums and internships. She believes through service-learning pedagogy, she can create an environment for students that allows for application of knowledge enhanced by student awareness of their strengths and abilities as a growing pre-professional. Above all, she works to serve as a mentor to students in hopes that guiding her students to personal and professional prosperity will ultimately improve the lives of those in our community through their capable work.
Jenna engages broadly with faculty, staff, students, and community partners to create a connected and collaborative environment for progress.
Outside of her vocation, Jenna finds solace in the great outdoors as she is also an avid skier and enjoys practicing yoga. She enjoys trips home to Lake Tahoe to visit her parents. She also serves as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for local foster youth. There is nothing more important to her than her family – notably her husband and fellow Wolf Pack alumnus, Aaron, their daughter, Hayes, and dog, Zoey.
- Service-Learning Faculty of the Year, University of Nevada, Reno (2020)
- Women of Silver & Blue N’Spire Award, Nevada Alumni Association (2020)
- Senior Scholar Mentor (2018)
- Governor’s Points of Light Individual Volunteer of Northern Nevada Finalist, Nevada Volunteers (2017)
- Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor Award, College of Education, University of Nevada, Reno (2016)
- 20 Under 40 Award Winner, Reno Young Professionals Network (2016)
- M.S. in Human Development and Family Science (HDFS), University of Nevada Reno
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education, University of Nevada Reno
- Certified Family Life Educator, National Council on Family Relations