- Characterization and advanced testing of engineered & sustainable paving materials
- Numerical modeling of asphalt pavement responses to moving dynamic loads
- Analysis procedures for evaluation of Superheavy load movements on flexible pavements
- Full-scale pavement structure instrumentation, testing, and evaluation
- Influence of pavement roughness & roadway characteristics on Fuel and non-fuel vehicle operating costs
In the news
- 2016 Award for Outstanding Article in Advances in Civil Engineering Materials from ASTM International for outstanding manuscript ACEM20160025, Laboratory and Economic Evaluations of Thin Lift Asphalt Overlay for Pavement Preservation.
- Increased Life Cycles And Improved Performance Are Driving Today’s Pavement Innovation. Engineering News-Record (ENR), April 29–May 6, 2019.
- Where does your recycled plastic go? Perhaps into future highways. Ashley Halsey III, The Washington Post, published 3:00 pm PDT, Sunday, October 28, 2018.
- Asphalt Academic – Elie Y. Hajj, Asphalt: the Magazine of the Asphalt Institute, October 22, 2015.
- Habbouche, J., Hajj, E. Y., Piratheepan, M., Sebaaly, P. E., & Morian, N. E. (2019). Field Performance and Economic Analysis of Rehabilitated Pavement Sections with Engineered Stress Relief Course Interlayers. Transportation Research Record.
- Pournoman, S., Hajj, E. Y., Morian, N., & Martin, A. E. (2018). Impact of Recycled Materials and Recycling Agents on Asphalt Binder Oxidative Aging Predictions. Transportation Research Record, 2672(28), 277–289.
- Batioja-Alvarez, D., Kazemi, S.-F., Hajj, E. Y., Siddharthan, R. V., & Hand, A. J. T. (2018). Statistical Distributions of Pavement Damage Associated with Overweight Vehicles: Methodology and Case Study. Transportation Research Record, 2672(9), 229–241.
- Habbouche, J., Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., & Piratheepan, M. (2018). A critical review of high polymer-modified asphalt binders and mixtures. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 1–17.
- Habbouche, J., Hajj, E. Y., Sebaaly, P. E., & Morian, N. E. (2018). Damage Assessment for ME Rehabilitation Design of Modified Asphalt Pavements: Challenges and Findings. Transportation Research Record, 2672(40), 228–241.
- Bazi, G., Hajj, E. Y., Ulloa-Calderon, A., & Ullidtz, P. (2018). Finite element modelling of the rolling resistance due to pavement deformation. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 1–11.
- Garcia Cucalon, L., Kaseer, F., Arámbula-Mercado, E., Epps Martin, A., Morian, N., Pournoman, S., & Hajj, E. Y. (2018). The crossover temperature: significance and application towards engineering balanced recycled binder blends. Road Materials and Pavement Design, 1–22.
- Batioja-Alvarez, D. D., Kazemi, S.-F., Hajj, E. Y., Siddharthan, R. V., & Hand, A. J. T. (2018). Probabilistic Mechanistic-Based Pavement Damage Costs for Multitrip Overweight Vehicles. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B Pavements, ASCE, 144(2).
- Gu, F., Luo, X., Luo, R., Hajj, E. Y., & Lytton, R. L. (2017). A mechanistic-empirical approach to quantify the influence of geogrid on the performance of flexible pavement structures. Transportation Geotechnics, 13, 69–80.
- Alavi, M., Hajj, E. Y., & Sebaaly, P. E. (2017). A comprehensive model for predicting thermal cracking events in asphalt pavements. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 18(9), 871–885.
- Sebaaly, P. E., Hajj, E. Y., Sathanathan, T., & Shivakolunthar, S. (2017). A comprehensive evaluation of moisture damage of asphalt concrete mixtures. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 18(2), 169–182.
- Sun, Y., Xu, H., Wu, J., Hajj, E. Y., & Geng, X. (2017). Data Processing Framework for Development of Driving Cycles with Data from SHRP 2 Naturalistic Driving Study. Transportation Research Record, 2645(1), 50–56.
- Siddharthan, R., Nasimifar, M., Tan, X., & Hajj, E. Y. (2017). Investigation of impact of wheel wander on pavement performance. Road Materials and Pavement Design, 18(2), 390–407.
- Habbouche, J., Hajj, E. Y., Morian, N., Sebaaly, P. E., & Piratheepan, M. (2017). Reflective Cracking Relief Interlayer for Asphalt Pavement Rehabilitation: From Development to Demonstration. Road Materials and Pavement Design, 18(sup4), 30–57.
- Hajj, E. Y., Batioja-Alvarez, D., & Siddharthan, R. (2016). Assessment of Pavement Damage from Bus Rapid Transit: Case Study for Nevada. Transportation Research Record, 2591(1), 70–79.
- Hajj, E. Y., Sanders, D. H., & Weitzel, N. D. (2016). Evaluation of Modified Engineered Cementitious Composite with Local Materials. Transportation Research Record, 2577(1), 78–87.
- Gu, F., Luo, X., Luo, R., Lytton, R. L., Hajj, E. Y., & Siddharthan, R. (2016). Numerical Modeling of Geogrid-Reinforced Flexible Pavement and Corresponding Validation using Large-Scale Tank Test. Construction and Building Materials, 122, 214–230.
- Lo Presti, D., del Barco Carrión, A. J., Airey, G., & Hajj, E. Y. (2016). Towards 100% recycling of reclaimed asphalt in road surface courses: binder design methodology and case studies. Journal of Cleaner Production, 131, 43–51.
- Habbouche, J., Hajj, E. Y., & Sebaaly, P. E. (2016). Laboratory and Economic Evaluations of Thin Lift Asphalt Overlay for Pavement Preservation. ASTM Journal Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, 5(1), 303–324.
Seminars, webinars and workshops
- Hajj, E., Institute of Transportation Studies at UC Davis (ITS-Davis) Seminar, "New Relationship Models between Vehicle Speed Profile, Roadway Characteristics, Pavement Roughness, and Vehicle Operating Costs", Invited, Davis, California. (April 26, 2019).
- Hajj, E., Nabizadeh, H., Kazemi, S.-F., TRB Webinar, Non-Academic, "Evaluation of Superheavy Load Movement on Flexible Pavements", Accepted, Online. (April 23, 2019). (372 Attendees)
- Hajj, E., Seminar, Centre for Pavement and Transportation Technology, University of Waterloo, "Thermal Cracking Resistance Index Threshold for Assessing Asphalt Mixture Brittleness with Field Validation", Invited, Waterloo, Canada. (April 17, 2019).
- Hajj, E., Kent Seminar Series, Illinois Center for Transportation, University of Illinois, Non-Academic, Seminar, "Analysis Procedures for Evaluating Superheavy Load Movement on Flexible Pavements: SuperPACK", Invited, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. (March 29, 2018).
- Hajj, E., Xu, H., Sime, M., TRB Webinar, Non-Academic, "Modeling the Relationship Between Vehicle Speed & Fuel Consumption", Accepted, Online. (March 14, 2018). (155 Attendees)
- Hajj, E., 2018 WRAPP Pavement Preservation Workshop, Non-Academic, Workshop, "Education & the Future of Pavement Preservation Round Table: PES Program at UNR", Invited, Concord, California. (February 7, 2018).
- Hajj, E., Hands-on Workshop on Modeling Tools to Evaluate Low Temperature Cracking in Asphalt Mixtures, Academic, Workshop, "UTSST Test, Theory, and Data Analysis", Invited, Reno, Nevada. (April 6, 2017).
- Construction Materials Engineering and Testing (Undergraduate)
- Pavement Design and Analysis (Undergraduate/Graduate)
- Advanced Pavement Design and Analysis (Graduate)
- Bituminous Materials and Mixtures (Graduate)
- Pavement Reconstruction, Rehabilitation, and Maintenance (Graduate)
- Pavement Management (Graduate)
- Advanced Topics in Pavement Engineering (Graduate)
- Advanced Modeling and Analysis of Bituminous Materials (Graduate)