- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2004
- M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1999
- B.S., California Institute of Technology, 1998
- Advanced seismic protection of buildings and bridges
- Seismic isolation
- Nonlinear analysis and simulation
- Economic life cycle performance evaluation of structural systems
- Seismic response of nonstructural components and contents
Relevant past experience
- Performed analytical simulation of seismically isolated buildings
- Led shake table testing of full-scale base-isolated building at Japan's E-Defense facility
- PI on research projects funded by National Science Foundation, Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Utah DOT related to advanced seismic protection of buildings and bridges
- Contributor to open source earthquake engineering simulation software
- Organized practitioner workshops on advancing the use of seismic isolation
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Member: ASCE, EERI, NEES Consortium
- Organized and chaired conference sessions
- Peer reviewer of journal and conference manuscripts
- Peer reviewer of proposals for National Science Foundation
- Recipient: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Invitation Fellowship for Research in Japan (Short-Term) 2011
- Participant: 6th, 7th and 8th Planning Meetings for NEES/E-Defense Collaboration, E-Defense, Miki City, Japan, 2007, 2009 and 2010. Coordinator of Isolation and Control Working Group
- Participant: ASCE Excellence in Civil Engineering Education (ExCEED) Teaching Workshop. University f Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR. July 13-18, 2008
- Participant: MR Damper FHT Workshop at the Colorado NEES Facility. Boulder, CO. Aug. 6-7, 2007
- Recipient: NACADA Outstanding New Advisor Certificate of Merit - Faculty Academic Advising 2007
- Participant: NSF WEE '06 - Workshop for the Advancement and Retention of Underrepresented and Minority Engineering Educators, Arlington, VA. March 5-8, 2006
- Recipient: USU Outstanding New Advisor Award - Faculty Academic Advising 2006
- Sayani, Prayag J., Emrah Erduran and Keri L. Ryan, "Comparative response assessment of minimally compliant low-rise base-isolated and conventional steel moment resisting frame buildings", Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE), Accepted for publication, 2010.
- Erduran, Emrah and Keri L. Ryan, "Comparative response assessment of minimally compliant low-rise conventional and base-isolated steel braced frames", Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, In Press, 2010.
- Keri L. Ryan, Keri L., Lucy Arendt, and Desiray Larsen, "Evaluation of design review process and requirements for seismic-isolated buildings", Earthquake Spectra, 26(4), 1101-1116, 2010.
- Erduran, Emrah and Keri L. Ryan, "Effects of torsion on the behavior of steel braced frames", Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, In Press, 2010.
- Shafieezadeh, A. and Keri L. Ryan, "Robust stability and performance of filter enhanced H2/LQG controllers for nonlinear structures", Structural Control and Health Monitoring, In Press, 2010.
- Keri L. Ryan. and Curtis L. Earl, "Analysis and design of inter-story isolation systems with nonlinear devices", Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 14(7):1044-1062, 2010.
- Sayani, Prayag J. and Keri L. Ryan, "Evaluation of approaches to characterize seismic isolation systems for design", Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 13(6):835-851, 2009.
- Sayani, Prayag J. and Keri L. Ryan, "Comparative evaluation of base-isolated and fixed-base buildings using a comprehensive response index", Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE), 135(6):698-707, 2009.
- Keri L. Ryan and Jose Polanco, "Problems with Rayleigh damping in base-isolated buildings", Technical Note, Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE), 134(11):1780-1784, 2008.
- York, Kelby and Keri L. Ryan, "Distribution of lateral forces in base-isolated buildings considering isolation system nonlinearity", Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 12(7):1185-1204, 2008.
- Shafieezadeh, Abdollah, Keri L. Ryan, and YangQuan Chen, "Fractional order filter enhanced LQR for seismic protection of civil structures", Special issue on "Discontinuous and Fractional Dynamical Systems" Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, ASME, 3(2):21404, 2008.
- Keri L. Ryan and Anil K. Chopra, "Estimating bearing response in symmetric and asymmetric-plan isolated buildings with rocking and torsion", Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 35(8):1009-1036, 2006.
- Keri L. Ryan and Anil K. Chopra, "Estimating seismic demands for isolation bearings with building overturning effects", Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 132(7):1118-1128, 2006.
- CEE 372 Strength of Materials
- CEE 724 Applied Elasticity