If you live outside of Reno or Las Vegas, or your schedule doesn’t permit you to take the placement assessment in person, you can take it from home with remote proctoring.
Instead of a testing staff member monitoring you in person, remote proctoring is provided by a lockdown browser and webcam monitoring. You will need to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser onto your computer before you take the placement assessment with remote proctoring.
What is a lockdown browser?
A lockdown browser is a custom web browser that restricts the environment on a computer. The name says it all: it “locks down” the browser on your computer. While you are taking the placement assessment, you are unable to copy, print, access other applications or visit other websites.
What is webcam monitoring?
Webcam monitoring uses your computer’s webcam to record the assessment session. This is to verify your identity and proctor the assessment.
You will need to have a suitable environment to take the placement assessment with remote proctoring. This doesn’t just ensure academic integrity, but also allows you to take the assessment without distractions and do your best work.
- A private, indoor location where you can be alone and are unlikely to be disturbed.
- A clear desk or table with sufficient space to work out solutions on your scratch paper.
- A reliable internet connection (wired is preferred but WiFi is acceptable).
- A compatible desktop or laptop computer with the most updated version of Chrome, Firefox, or Safari web browsers.
- A webcam and microphone (built-in or USB are both acceptable).
Appointments not required
You can take the placement assessment with remote proctoring at any time of the day or night. An appointment is not required, and you do not need to contact the Testing Center to inform us in advance.
There is a one-time fee of $5 to take the placement assessment with remote proctoring. You will pay the fee inside the lockdown browser prior to beginning your assessment. Be sure to have your credit or debit card handy. The payment is collected via PayPal, but a PayPal account is not required. If you do not wish to use a PayPal account click Check out as Guest.
Once you have paid the $5 fee, you do not need to pay it again, even if you retake the placement assessment.
Remote proctoring instructions
Because the Lockdown Browser prohibits you from accessing other websites while it is running, we recommend printing these instructions so you can refer to them as necessary:
- Download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser onto your computer.
- Log into ALEKS. On the left-hand side of the screen, click Get Started.
- A proctor password is required. Enter house604pencil and click Submit Password.
- On the next page, click Launch LockDown Browser + Webcam. It may prompt you to close some other applications. Do this to continue.
- When the browser opens, select I want to use a webcam (Respondus Monitor) and click Continue.
- Follow the pre-check steps in the browser:
- Step 3: Purchase License is where you will pay the $5 fee.
- Step 7: Show ID is where you will hold up your photo ID to the webcam.
- Step 8: Environment Check is where you will use the webcam to scan the room you are in.
- Once you have completed all the pre-check steps, you will be ready to begin your exam.