Incoming University of Nevada, Reno students are placed into math courses primarily according to their ACT or SAT scores. Students wishing to place into a higher math course can take ACCUPLACER as a secondary placement measure. The University uses ACCUPLACER for math placement only. Contact the English department for information about alternative placement options for first-year writing courses.
More information regarding:
We offer ACCUPLACER testing during enrollment periods only. ACCUPLACER is not offered in October, February, or March. Students attending other institutions can take ACCUPLACER at the University of Nevada, Reno with a remote voucher. See proctored exams for other institutions for more information.
How to register for ACCUPLACER
- Pay the $10 test fee in MyNEVADA. ACCUPLACER is listed under “Purchase Additional Services.” Take a note of your payment reference number when it is displayed on the confirmation screen.
- Schedule your appointment using our online form.
Scheduling, rescheduling and canceling appointments
Test fee. The $10 test fee must be paid prior to making an appointment, either through MyNEVADA or at the Cashier's Office in the Fitzgerald Student Services Building. The Testing Center cannot accept payments at check-in.
Appointments. Appointments can be made online using our scheduling form. Registration for each testing session closes 36 hours before the scheduled start time.
Required registration information. You will need to provide the following information when you schedule your appoinment. If any of these are missing, your appointment may be canceled and you may be required to re-register.
- NSHE ID number
- Phone number
- Reference number from your fee payment .
- Date of Birth
Rescheduling. If you need to re-schedule or cancel your appointment, please contact us by phone at (775) 682-9940 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily assist you. If you notify us in advance, we can refund your test fee or apply it to a future appointment.
No show for test. If you are a "no show" for your appointment, your test fee is forfeited and cannot be refunded or applied to a future appointment. The online scheduling form will also prevent you from registering for future appointments. Please contact the Testing Center by phone at (775) 682-9940 or by email at email@example.com to have your access to the scheduling form reset. A "no show" does not count toward your three ACCUPLACER attempts.
Important information about ACCUPLACER
- You may take ACCUPLACER up to 3 times. You must wait at least 48 hours after each attempt before attempting the test again. Each attempt costs $10.
- If you have already enrolled in and started a math course at the University you are not eligible to take ACCUPLACER.
- You may not take the ACCUPLACER without paying the testing fee
What to expect on test day
Location and parking
The University Testing Center is located in the William J. Raggio Building, Room 1003.
The nearest parking to the Testing Center is on Level 1 of the Brian J. Whalen Parking Complex (access from North Virginia Street). Permit dispensers accept cash and credit or debit cards. Parking in the Whalen Complex is $1.50 per hour with a 4-hour maximum limit. There is also a lot with parking meters and permit dispensers located on Evans Avenue directly north of the National Judicial College Building.
What to bring to the Testing Center
Valid identification. A valid (unexpired) photo ID is required to take ACCUPLACER. Examples of acceptable ID include a driver license or state ID, passport book or card, or military ID. The name on your ID must match the name on your registration. Please contact the University Testing Center before your test day if you have questions about whether your ID is acceptable. Students without acceptable ID will not be permitted to test.
Layered clothing. Just like the rest of Reno, temperatures in the testing room can vary throuhgout the day. We recommend wearing layered clothing (e.g., a light sweater or jacket) to ensure you are ready for any room temperature. You are not permitted to wear outerwear (e.g., coats, heavy jackets, hats, scarves, gloves, etc.) while testing.
Approved test materials. Please do not bring your own calculator, scratch paper, or pens/pencils; you will not be permitted to use them. The proctor will provide you with all the materials you will need.
Testing arrival and check-in
- Plan to arrive at the University Testing Center at least 15 minutes early to allow time for check-in.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are located near the University Testing Center doors. Please use these prior to checking in.
- The proctor will examine your ID and give you a rules agreement form to sign. Please read these rules carefully. By signing, you agree to follow all University Testing Center rules and all instructions given to you by the proctor.
- The proctor will provide you with a place to store your personal belongings. Please disable any alarms and completely power down your cell phone and any other electronic devices before storing them. All of your belongings must be stored before you enter the testing room, including anything in your pockets. Please do not bring valuables, large amounts of cash, or anything you would feel uncomfortable keeping stored out of your reach while testing.
- The proctor will assign you a seat and provide you with scratch paper and pencils. Once testing has begun, you may not talk to other test takers or get up from your seat without permission. If you have a problem, raise your hand to get the proctor's attention.
- Only students taking ACCUPLACER are permitted to remain in the testing room. Parents and others are welcome to wait in any of the public spaces on campus, including the nearby Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center or the Joe Crowley Student Union.
Taking and completing the test
ACCUPLACER is a computer-delivered adaptive test, and questions are selected based on how you answered previous questions. You must answer each question before you can move on to the next question. You cannot leave questions blank or skip them and return to them later.
ACCUPLACER is not timed, and you are encouraged to take as much time as you need. Each testing session will allow approximately 90 minutes. If you are not finished when the session ends, the proctor will pause the test (all of your previous answers will be saved), and you can return on another day to finish. You must complete the test within 30 days.
The test program has a built-in calculator, which is permitted on certain questions. Click on the icon (when visible) in the upper-right corner of the screen to access the calculator.
The computer is programmed to restrict access to the internet and other applications while the test is in progress. Please do not attempt to navigate to another webpage or launch any applications, as doing so will automatically end your test.
Completing the test
- When you have finished, your scores and placement will be displayed on the screen.
- Raise your hand to get the proctor's attention. The proctor will collect your test materials, return your personal belongings to you, and provide you with a printed copy of your scores.
- Please exit the University Testing Center quietly, so as not to disturb other test takers.
Testing Center policies
The University of Nevada, Reno Testing Center serves our students and the community at-large by providing a secure environment to take a variety of academic and nonacademic exams. We adhere to the Professional Standards and Guidelines of the National College Testing Association (NCTA), in order to ensure the best possible testing conditions and to standardize exam procedures. These guidelines are frequently reviewed and updated, and are subject to change without notice.
Violation of the University Testing Center's policies may result in one or more of the following consequences:
- Dismissal from your testing session and/or invalidation of your scores
- A $20 fine and an administrative hold placed on your student account
- Being ineligibile to take ACCUPLACER at the University of Nevada, Reno in the future and/or to transfer in ACCUPLACER scores from an outside institution