Incoming University of Nevada, Reno students are placed into math courses primarily according to their ACT or SAT scores. Students wishing to place into a higher math course can take ACCUPLACER as a secondary placement measure. The University uses ACCUPLACER for math placement only. Contact the English department for information about alternative placement options for first-year writing courses.
More information regarding:
If you would like to take ACCUPLACER for another college or university, please contact your institution to request a remote voucher, then refer to our proctored exams for other institutions page to make an appointment.
How to register for ACCUPLACER
Testing at home (remote proctoring)
ACCUPLACER uses Examity for remote proctoring. This allows you to take the test from your home while a proctor monitors your session via webcam, microphone, and screen sharing.
If you would like to take the test at home using Examity, complete the following steps:
- Make sure you meet Examity’s technical requirements. Desktop or laptop computer (tablets, Chromebooks, and smartphones are not supported); Built-in or external webcam, microphone, and speakers; Internet connection with an upload and download speed of 2Mbps.
- Use online form. Use our online form to request a voucher code. Select “ACCUPLACER Examity” in step three.
- Pay online. Have your debit or credit card ready to pay the $10 test fee.
Scheduling your exam
Once you have paid the $10 test fee, you will receive an email from ACCUPLACER with your voucher code. Please allow one business day. This voucher code will allow you to schedule and take your exam.
Click the Examity link in the email, which will bring you to the Examity registration page. Enter your first name, last name, and email, and click the “Register” link.
Once you’ve registered, you will receive a confirmation email with login credentials from Examity. You will then log into the Examity dashboard. From here, you will set up a profile and schedule your exam using the voucher code provided.
You can schedule to take your test on the same day, or you can schedule in advance. Once scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email with login credentials. Return to the Examity dashboard at the day/time you scheduled to meet your proctor and take the test.
Examity testing rules
Please note that certain special rules apply to taking ACCUPLACER with Examity that are different from testing in person at the University Testing Center.
Examity charges $25 for each remotely proctored test session. This fee is in addition to the $10 test fee paid to the University Testing Center. This $25 fee is paid directly to Examity by debit or credit card at the time you take your exam.
Upload current and valid photo identification. When setting up your profile in Examity, you must upload a current and valid photo ID. During you exam appointment, you will be asked to show the same current and valid photo ID. Acceptable forms of ID include the following:
- Driver’s license
- High school ID
- Military ID
- Middle school ID
- State or federal approved ID
- College ID
- Tribal ID
- Naturalization card
- Certificate of citizenship
Voucher code required. You must have the voucher code provided by ACCUPLACER.
Test alone. You must test alone in a quiet room without disruptions.
Non-permitted items. The following are not allowed during testing:
Scratch paper and pencil. You will need to provide your own scratch paper along with a standard pen/pencil. You will be asked to show both sides of your scratch paper to the proctor at the beginning and end of your test session.
Testing in Reno
If you would like to take the test at the University Testing Center in Reno, complete the following steps:
- Use our online form to schedule an appointment. Select “ACCUPLACER Reno” as your exam in step three.
- Have your debit or credit card ready to pay the $10 test fee.
Testing in Las Vegas
If you would like to take the test at the Southern Nevada Office in Las Vegas, complete the following steps:
- First pay the $10 test fee in MyNEVADA. ACCUPLACER is listed under “Purchase Additional Services.” Print or take a screenshot of your receipt once your payment has been processed.
- Then contact the Southern Nevada Office at (702) 940-5416 to make an appointment.
If you would like to take the test elsewhere, complete the following steps:
- First locate a test site in your area using ACCUPLACER’s test center locator.
- Then use our online form to pay the $10 test fee. Select “ACCUPLACER Remote” as your exam in Step 3
- We will email you a remote ACCUPLACER voucher within 1 business day. Use this voucher to set an appointment with your chosen test site.
We offer ACCUPLACER testing during enrollment periods only. ACCUPLACER is not offered in March or October.
Important information about ACCUPLACER
- You may take ACCUPLACER up to 3 times.
- You must wait at least 48 hours after each attempt before taking the test again. Each attempt costs $10.
- If you have already enrolled in and started a math course at the University, you are not eligible to take ACCUPLACER.
- Visit the ACCUPLACER student portal for study guides, practice questions and to download a copy of your score report.
Taking and completing the test
- ACCUPLACER is a computer-delivered adaptive test. You must answer each question before you can move onto the next question. You cannot leave questions blank or return to them later.
- ACCUPLACER is not timed, and you are encouraged to take as much time as you need. Each testing session will allow approximately 2 hours. If you are not finished when the session ends, the proctor will pause the test (all of your previous answers will be saved), and you can return within 14 days to finish the test.
- The test program has a built-in calculator, which is permitted on certain questions. You are not allowed to use your own calculator.
Testing Center policies
The University of Nevada, Reno Testing Center serves our students and the community at-large by providing a secure environment to take a variety of academic and nonacademic exams. We adhere to the Professional Standards and Guidelines of the National College Testing Association (NCTA), in order to ensure the best possible testing conditions and to standardize exam procedures. These guidelines are frequently reviewed and updated, and are subject to change without notice.
Violation of the University Testing Center's policies may result in one or more of the following consequences:
- Dismissal from your testing session and/or invalidation of your scores
- A $20 fine and an administrative hold placed on your student account
- Being ineligibile to take ACCUPLACER at the University of Nevada, Reno in the future and/or to transfer in ACCUPLACER scores from an outside institution