30 to Complete

The 30 to Complete campaign is designed to encourage students to take a full course load each semester to help them earn their degrees more quickly. The premise behind 30 to Complete is to promote the completion of 30 credits per year so that a typical bachelor's degree can be completed in four years.

Fifteen credits is the number of credits in which you must be registered each semester in order to make timely progress toward your bachelor's degree and to receive your full financial aid and scholarship package.

Institutional awards such as the State Grant and State Access Grant, and most scholarships from the University, require enrollment in at least 15 credits at the University of Nevada, Reno in order for funds to be disbursed.

Financial aid programs not requiring 15 credit enrollment

Some financial aid does not require the 15 credit enrollment minimum (12 credits is considered full time):

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG
  • Federal Teach Grant
  • Federal Loans from the Department of Education

The Millennium and Gear Up scholarships from the State of Nevada require an enrollment minimum of 12 credits.

Math 95 and 96 and English 98 count for three credits towards your financial aid enrollment. Math 96D counts for two credits towards your financial aid enrollment.

15 credit enrollment exemptions

Some circumstances may be exempt from the 15 credit enrollment minimum for the disbursement of institutional aid. Favorable consideration is given to:

  • Students who will be graduating in December or May and can document less than 30 required credits for completion.
  • Students certified for reduced course loads by the Disability Resource Center
  • Level III Nursing students
  • Athletes who can document required scheduled demands with an approved plan to complete 30 credits within the calendar year and meet NCAA satisfactory progress requirements.
  • GI Bill® recipients who are unable to take more than a minimum of 12 credits due to VA certifications restrictions.*

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

How to get started

  • Start taking courses you will need to complete your degree requirements. You will want to talk with your academic advisor to find out what courses you need to take. 
  • Create a plan to graduate in consultation with your academic advisor.  
  • Enroll in 15 credits or more each fall and spring semester.  If you cannot take 15 or more credits, consider using Wintermester and Summer Session to complete 30 credits per year
  • Stay up-to-date on course offerings and events by checking MyNEVADA every week. This is how you will know about important deadlines, academic events and registration information.

Appeal process

If you have been awarded institutional aid that requires enrollment in 15 credits per semester but circumstances only allow you to enroll in 12 credits per semester, you will be required to demonstrate how you plan to complete 30 credits per year. You'll need to submit the Thirty to Complete Plan of Study form for the applicable semester.