Master of Science in Chemical Engineering


The master's degree in chemical engineering combines upper-level coursework with the opportunity to conduct research on a topic within chemical engineering and write a thesis. To earn the master's degree, students must complete requirements in three main areas:

  1. Core coursework: Core coursework requirements can be found in the course catalog.
  2. Elective coursework: These courses will be selected with the help of your advisory committee.
  3. Thesis: You must write and defend a thesis that is approved by your advisory committee.

You will develop an individualized program of study with your advisory committee. The program of study describes the specific courses, research and related activities you will take to meet your degree requirements. We recommended that you develop a program of study as soon as possible upon arriving at the University.

Advisory committee

When you start your program, you may be assigned a temporary advisor. However, you should select a general research area, full advisory committee and thesis advisor sometime during the first semester.

Advisory or examining committees consist of at least three members of the graduate faculty: two from your area of specialization, and one from a department outside Chemical and Materials Engineering. The committee is very important in guiding your progress toward an advanced degree, and high priority should be placed on forming the committee during the first semester. You are free to change advisors or committee members at any time.

View the Chemical Engineering graduate program handbook

Admissions Information

Applicants to the master's degree program should have an undergraduate degree in engineering, a minimum GPA of 3.0 and combined GRE scores of 300. Applicants without a chemical engineering degree may submit an application; however, they should expect to take prerequisite undergraduate chemical engineering courses to become eligible for graduate coursework in the program. 

How to Apply

For more information

Please direct any further questions to Graduate Program Director Sage Hiibel at

Applicants to the program should apply through The Graduate School website. Every applicant needs to provide the following:

  • Official GRE scores, sent directly to the graduate school
  • TOEFL scores, for non-native English speakers (79 minimum or IELTS of 6.5 or higher)
  • At least three reference letters
  • Statement of purpose describing your career goals and research interests

Financial support

Students in the master's degree program are eligible to be considered for teaching or research assistantships. Applicants to the program will be considered for available funding, and awards are made on the basis of your academic achievements and potential for graduate success.

Housing Options

The University offers on-campus housing for graduate students. Visit the graduate housing website to learn more about living at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Related Degrees and Programs

Contact Chemical and Materials Engineering

Phone (775) 784-6771
Fax (775) 327-5059
Location Paul Laxalt Mineral Research