Academic advising

To schedule an appointment with a criminal justice advisor, please email the advising team for an appointment. Scheduling an appointment is strongly encouraged, especially during peak advising times.

Beginning December 24th, criminal justice advisors will be off campus for the winter break and will respond to your email as soon as possible after January 16th, 2023. If you need academic advising assistance before that time, please contact the College of Liberal Arts Advising Center by leaving a voicemail at (775) 682-8745 with your full name, NSHE ID#, and call-back number, or you can visit their virtual advising page at College of Liberal Arts Student Center.

Although academic advising is only required in the first three semesters, students majoring in criminal justice are strongly encouraged to get to know their academic advisors. Advisors can often anticipate issues before they arise and are here to assist students not only in scheduling the next semester, but also in planning for graduation.

In addition, the department encourages students interested in careers in criminal justice, justice-related professions, or graduate school, to meet with the faculty for career advisement. It is particularly important to explore career opportunities and options early in your academic career.

List of advisors

Department/Information Advisor Name Email Office
Criminal Justice Advisor - Last name begins with A-M Lauren Anderson AB 605
Criminal Justice Advisor - Last name begins with N-Z Pamela Everett AB 602
Criminal Justice Advisor - Law and Justice Pamela Everett AB 602

For helpful catalog year checklists, please email your advisor or view the course catalog.


Advisors in the College of Liberal Arts

There are two types of academic advisors in the College of Liberal Arts: College Advisors and Faculty Mentors. Both types of advisors can assist you with your academic progress in different ways and you are able to meet with both types of advisors.

College advisors

The College advisors, located in the College of Liberal Arts Student Center, are year-round professional staff members whose primary role is academic advisement. College advisors are able to assist all students with a major or minor in liberal arts programs.

A College advisor can be particularly helpful with advising for:

  • New students to the University (incoming freshmen/first-year students and new transfer students)
  • Students changing their major into the College of Liberal Arts from another College/School at the University
  • Questions regarding overall degree framework, including Core Curriculum, CLA language, CLA breadth, or the minor requirements
  • Students on academic recovery for low University GPA
  • Pre-graduation evaluations for students nearing the completion of their degree preparing to graduate
  • General advising or exploration of liberal arts majors and minors
  • When faculty mentors are not available (especially during winter or summer breaks)

First-year students generally meet with College advisors prior to their first semester at the University (as part of summer orientation advising) and throughout the first year.

Faculty mentors

Each academic department in the College of Liberal Arts has one or more faculty mentors. The faculty mentors are academic faculty members that advise specifically for their department’s major and minor programs. In addition to their roles as instructors and scholars, faculty mentors can serve as mentors to students as they progress through their degree.

It is best to consult with a faculty mentor for:

  • Questions about requirements or course substitutions in a major/minor program
  • Selecting specific major/minor classes to meet your academic or professional interests
  • Graduate and professional school planning
  • Exploring internship and career opportunities related to your program

Students are encouraged to meet with faculty mentors on a regular basis, especially after completing the first year of study.