A salient focus of the department
The Department of Criminal Justice embraces the University of Nevada Reno’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. As a department, we embody the values of diversity, equity and inclusion in our courses, research and service. As a department, we focus on the causes and consequences of social inequality, the recruitment and development of outstanding students from diverse backgrounds and educational and outreach activities. As part of our teaching, research and service, we aim at making the criminal justice system more just, enhancing fairness in society and making the community a place for all. Not only does the department seek diversity, equity and inclusion among the faculty and staff, but we also seek a diverse and inclusive group of students, treated in an equitable manner, who will go out and change the world for the better. This applies to our current students as well as our graduated alumni. The department encourages faculty, staff and students to participate in outreach programs that foster equity and access. In doing so, we embody values similar to those outlined by the College of Liberal Arts, including:
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Academic Programming and Student Success
- Outreach and Public Engagement
Definition of diversity
The term “diversity” can be defined in a number of different ways and expressed in myriad forms. Broadly, diversity means understanding that each individual is unique and recognizing our individual differences. This can be along the dimensions of age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, SES, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, culture, ideology, politics, religion, citizenship, marital status, job classification, veteran status, parental status, body size and justice-involved histories. The overarching aim of diversity is to move beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.
We thank the University of Delaware, University of Oregon and Queensborough Community College for informing this definition of diversity.
Although creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment is an ongoing and iterative process, we commit, as a department, to implement best practices in the promotion of these values.
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- Recruit, maintain and champion a diverse body of students, staff and faculty
- Create a culture of inclusive excellence and mutual respect
- Academic programming and student success
- Increase opportunities for career and educational development
- Expand curriculum emphasizing diversity, equity and social justice
- Outreach and public engagement
- Strengthen community ties, university relations and outreach efforts to diverse communities by developing innovative and engaging public programming