Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering

The University's Ph.D. in chemical engineering focuses on applying expertise in chemistry and process design to solving problems related to the environment and renewable energy.

Program at a glance

Application deadlines

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To receive full consideration for funding, apply by the deadlines below:

  • Fall enrollment: March 15
  • Spring enrollment: Oct. 1

Admissions requirements

  • Minimum GPA: 3.0
  • Minimum GRE: No minimum
  • Minimum TOEFL: 550

Graduate Program Director: Sage Hiibel,

Why choose this Ph.D. in chemical engineering?

The Ph.D. in chemical engineering trains students to pursue advanced careers in research, teaching or industry. Students gain significant research experience and work closely with faculty to develop expertise on a topic within chemical engineering and conduct original research that advances knowledge in the field.

The chemical engineering faculty have particular expertise in topics related to renewable energy, including:

  • Bioengineering/biomolecular engineering
  • Biofuels
  • Catalysis
  • Energy harvesting and storage
  • Environmental remediation
  • Molecular modeling
  • Polymer science and engineering
  • Solar energy

For information on coursework and degree requirements, see the program's course catalog listing.

How do I apply?

To apply for the Ph.D. in chemical engineering, students must have a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college and have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.

Applications must be submitted through the Graduate School website, which provides detailed instructions on the Graduate School's application and admission requirements. The College of Engineering will waive application fees for students with qualifying test scores. Please see the Grad Fee Waiver page for details.

Is funding available?

Applicants to the Ph.D. program will be considered for available graduate assistantships. The University offers two kinds of assistantships:

  • Teaching assistants work under the supervision of department faculty teaching recitation sections or laboratories, helping with grading and developing course materials and exams. Teaching assistantships are state-funded and are awarded by the department.
  • Research assistants conduct innovative research in cooperation with and under the supervision of department faculty.  They conduct experiments, implement prototype systems, develop new theories, and attend conferences or publish work in scholarly journals. Research assistantships are given by individual faculty members.

Review these pages for more on graduate school funding:

Additional information

What's next?

You can apply now if you are ready to begin your journey at the University or contact the graduate director below to learn more about the program.

Sage Hiibel, Ph.D.
Phone: 775-327-2260
Fax: 775-784-4764
Office: Paul Laxalt Mineral Research 305

Related Degrees and Programs

Contact Chemical and Materials Engineering

Phone (775) 784-6771
Fax (775) 327-5059
Location Paul Laxalt Mineral Research
Address University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557