- Ph.D., University of British Columbia, 1984
- M.S., University of British Columbia, 1981
- B.Sc., University of Sri Lanka, 1977
- Soil response under static and dynamic loading including liquefaction behavior
- Dynamic behavior of rigid and flexible retaining walls
- Dynamic pavement response to conventional and non-conventional vehicles
- Pavement materials characterization
- Effects of blast loading on saturated medium
- Wave loading on offshore slopes
- Transportation risk assessment studies
- Visiting Research Associate to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2007
- Visiting Research Associate to MIT, 1992
- Funded projects from the National Science Foundation, Department of Transportation, Department of Energy, Department of Defense and numerous private firms
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Presented five short courses in Nevada and California on Liquefaction, Seismic Bridge Abutment Design, and Seismic Response
- Delivered as many as 70 presentations in conferences, meetings, and seminars
- Presented a week-long short course on Geotechnical Seismic Design at University of Costa Rica
- Investigator (PI and Co. PI) of projects totaling more than $3.4 million from a wide variety of sources including, federal (NSF, ARO, DOE, NCHRP, Engineering Foundation), state (Nevada, California), and other sources (e.g. SCEC, EPRI, MCEER)
- Developed many software programs- notable ones are TARA and 3D-Move. A modified version of TARA program is routinely used by WES in their seismic response analyses of dams. The 3D-Move software developed with funds from the federal government has a user base of 400 users in 40 countries
- Served as a member of many ASCE Technical Committees (Soil Dynamics, Computer Applications, Shock and Vibratory Effects) and EERI and as a reviewer of proposals and reports for the NSF, ASCE, and US Army
- 1996 EERI Student Research Paper Competition Award was presented to Mahmoud EL- Gamal. His paper was based on his Ph.D. work carried out under my supervision.
- 1997 Shamsher Prakash Foundation Citation for work on Dynamic Soil Structure Interaction and Stability of Retaining Structures Under Earthquakes
Non-Academic Experience (selected list)
Dr. Siddharthan has been involved in a variety of consulting projects for a number firms including:
- Klohn Leonoff Consultants, Vancouver
- Komex Consultants, Calgary
- Exxon, Houston
- GAB Corporation, Sacramento
- Welsh Engineers, Denver
- Pezonella Associates, Reno
- EIC Consultants, Denver; Golder Associates, Denver
- Harding and Lawson Associates, Reno
- WESTECH, Reno
- Pacific Eng. & Analysis, El Cerrito
- Marvin & Associates, Reno
- CNI Consultants, Tucson
- Wood Rodgers, Reno
- Weidlinger Associates, New York (Verrazano-Narrows bridge retrofit)
- Summit Engineers, Las Vegas
- Robert Maddox & Associates
- Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Computer Applications in Civil Engineering
- Strength of Materials
- Retaining Structures
- Earthquake Engineering
- Numerical Methods in Civil Engineering
- Advanced Geotechnical Engineering
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, also Long Distance to UNLV
- Seepage and Slope Stability
Dr. Siddharthan's work has been cited by over1140 publications (scholar.google.com) with h-index of 16 and i10-index of 32.
Selected Reviewed Publications (Abridged List):
Dr. Siddharthan has authored more than 180 journal and conference publications. A complete list of publications is available on his website.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Krishnamenon, N., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Pavement Response Evaluation using Finite-Layer Approach," Transportation Research Record No. 1709, 2000, pp. 43-49.
- Ni, S.D., Anderson, J.G., Zeng, Y., and Siddharthan, R.V., "Expected Signature of Nonlinearity on Regression for Strong Ground Motion Parameters," Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, Vol. 90, 6B, 2000, pp. S53-S64.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Krishnamenon, N., El-Mously, M., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Investigation of Tire Contact Stress Distributions on Pavement Response," Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 128(2), March/April, 2002, pp. 136-144.
- Siddharthan, R.V., El-Mously, M., Krishnamenon, N., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Validation of a Pavement Response Model using Full-Scale Field Tests," International Journal in Pavement Engineering, Vol. 3(2), 2002, pp. 85-93.
- Sebaaly, P.E., Siddharthan, R., El Desouky, M., Strand, D., and Huft, D., "Effect of Off Road Equipment on Flexible Pavements," Transportation Research Record No. 1821, TRB, 2003, pp. 29-38.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Ganeshwara, V., Kutter, B.L., El-Desouky, M., and Whitman, R.V., "Seismic Deformation of Bar Mat MSE Walls I: Centrifuge Tests," Journal of Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 130(1), ASCE, January 2004, pp. 14-25.
- Siddharthan, R.V., Ganeshwara, V., Kutter, B.L., El-Desouky, M., and Whitman, R.V., "Seismic Deformation of Bar Mat MSE Walls II: A Multi-Block Model," Journal of Geotechnical and Geo-Environmental Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 130(1), ASCE, January 2004, pp. 26-35.
- Siddharthan, R., Sebaaly, P.E., El-Desouky, M., Strand, D., and Huft, D. "Heavy Off-road Vehicle Tire-Pavement Interactions and Response," Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 131(3), March/April 2005, pp. 239-247.
- Hajj, E.Y., Siddharthan, R.V., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Development of Laboratory-Based Unified Permanent Deformation Model for HMA Mixture," Journal of Testing and Evaluations, Vol. 35(3), May 2007, pp. 272-280.
- Siddharthan, R.V., and Porbaha, A., "Seismic Response Evaluation of Deep Mixed Improved Ground Part I: Proposed Approach," Ground Improvement, Vol. 131, Issue G13, Institute of Civil Engineers, UK, August 2008, pp. 153-162.
- Hajj, E.Y., Ulloa, A., Siddharthan, R.V., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Characteristics of the Loading Pulse for the Flow Number Performance Test," Journal Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, Vol. 79, 2010, pp. 253 - 294.
- Thornley, J.D., Siddharthan, R.V., and Luke, B., "Investigation and Implication of MSE Wall Corrosion in Nevada," Journal of Transportation Research Record, No. 2186, Transportation Research Board, 2011, pp. 67-78.
- Hajj, E.Y., Ulloa, A., Siddharthan, R.V., and Sebaaly, P.E., "Estimation of Stress Conditions for Flow Number Simple Performance Test," Journal of Transportation Research Record, No. 2181, Transportation Research Board, 2011, pp. 67-78.
- Siddharthan, R.V., and Bukhary, S. "Characteristics of Laboratory-Measured Saturated Soil Behavior under Multidirectional Shaking," Journal of Nevada Water Resources Association, Vol. 6(1), June 2011, pp. 362 - 376.
- Hajj, E.Y., Thusyanthan, P., Sebaaly, P.E., and Siddharthan, R.V., "Influence of Tire-Pavement Stress Distribution, Shape and Braking on Asphalt Pavement Performance Predictions," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2306 Transportation Research Board, 2012, pp. 73 - 85.
- Kasozi, A. M., Siddharthan, R. V. and Mahamud, R. "Temperature Distribution in Mechanically Stabilized Earth Wall Soil Backfills for Design under Elevated Temperature Conditions," ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Vol. 7(2), Paper No. 021004, June 2015, pg. 1-9.
- Kasozi, A., Siddharthan, R.V., and Mahamud, R. "MSE Wall Geogrid Tensile Strength at High Temperature Sites," Environmental Geotechnics, Vol. 3, Issue EG1, Institute of Civil Engineers, http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/envgeo.13.00073, Feb. 2016., pp. 4-16.
Nasimifar, M., Siddharthan, R., Rada, G., Nazarian, S. "Dynamic Analyses of Traffic Speed Deflection Devices." Published online in International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Sept. 2015, pp. 1 - 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/ 10298436.2015.1088152.
- Siddharthan, R., Nasimifar, M., Tan, X., Hajj, E., "Investigation of Impact of Wheel Wander on Pavement Performance," Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design, RMPD, Vol. 18(2), April 2016, pp. 390-407. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2016.1162730.
- Nasimifar, M., Thyagarajan, S., Siddharthan, R., and Sivaneswaran, S, "Robust Deflection Indices from Traffic Speed Deflectometer Measurements to Predict Critical Pavement Responses for Network Level Pavement Management System Application," Journal of Transportation Eng., ASCE, Vol. 142(3), March 2016. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000832).
- Nasimifar, M., Siddharthan, Rada, G., Nazarian, S., "Validation of Dynamic Simulation of Slow Moving Surface Deflection Measurements," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2589, National Academies of Sciences, Washington D.C., April 2016. DOI: 10.3141/2589-14.