- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1979
- M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1977
- M.S., Tehran University, Iran, 1973
- Earthquake engineering of bridges and buildings
- Large-scale concrete bridge component and system testing
- Field testing of highway bridges
- Analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures
- Application of composites, shape memory alloy, and other advanced materials in earthquake engineering
Relevant past experience
- Founding and past chair of ACI Committee on Earthquake Resistant Concrete Bridges
- Fellow of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Fellow of American Concrete Institute
- Member, ACI 318-Subcommittee D.
- Recipient of multimillion dollar research grants from National Science Foundation, Federal Highway Administration, California Department of Transportation, Nevada Department of Transportation, National Cooperative Highway Research Programs, and industry. Projects have been on earthquake engineering of structures, including large- scale model studies, retrofit method and repair development, design method development, and advanced material adaptation in structural engineering.
- Published more than 400 articles and reports and presented research in 26 countries, many as a keynote speaker
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Member, ACI, ASCE, EERI, Phi Kappa Phi, NEES Consortium, CUREE
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Nevada and California
- Reviewer of the National Science Foundation Research Proposals
- Reviewer of ASCE, ACI, EERI, PCI, Journal of Engineering Structures, Journal of Structural
- Engineering and Mechanics, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, and TRB Manuscripts
- Member of Review Panels for NCHRP and NSF Proposals Who's Who in Frontiers of Science and Technology, 2nd Edition
- Distinguished Leadership Award for Outstanding Contributions to Civil Engineering, 2nd Edition
- University of Nevada, Reno-Foundation Professorship Award, 1997
- University of Nevada, Reno Outstanding Researcher of the Year Award, 2000
- Outstanding Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Award, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, 2003
- Regents Researcher Award, University and Community College System of Nevada, 2003
- Lemelson Award for Innovative Research, College of Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, 2004
- Advisor of the Year Award, Associated Students at the University of Nevada, Reno, 2004
- Distinguished Alumni Award, College of Engineering, Tehran University, 2004.
- CEE 372 Strength of Materials
- CEE 480 Reinforced Concrete Design I
- CEE 487 Reinforced Concrete Design II
- CEE 723 Advanced Reinforced Concrete
- CEE 727 Advanced Structural Analysis
Selected recent publications
- Akl, A., M. Saiidi, and A. Vosooghi, “Deflection of In-Span Hinges in Prestressed Concrete Box Girder Bridges during Construction,” Journal of Engineering Structures, ASCE, Vol. 131, January 2017, pp. 293-310.
- Varela, S., and M. Saiidi, “Experimental Study of Seismically Resilient 2-Span Bridge Models Designed for Disassembly,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Published online, September 2017, 41 pp.
- Varela, S., and M. Saiidi, “Resilient Deconstructible Columns for Accelerated Bridge Construction in Seismically Active Areas,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol 28(13), 2017, pp. 1751-1774.
- Tazarv, M. and M. Saiidi, “Design and Construction of UHPC-Filled Duct Connections for Precast Bridge Columns in High Seismic Zones,” Journal of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Maintenance, Management, Life-Cycle Design, and Performance, Published online June 2016, Vol. 13 No. 6 , March 2017, pp. 743-753.
- Akl, A., and M. Saiidi, “Time-Dependent Analysis of Post-Tensioned Bridge Hinge Curl,” ASCE, Journal of Bridge Engineering, Paper No. 04016111, September 2016.
- Tazarv, M., and M. Saiidi, “Seismic Design of Bridge Columns Incorporating Mechanical Bar Splices in Plastic Hinge Regions,” Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol 124, July 2016, PP. 507-520.
- Varela, S., and M. Saiidi, “A Bridge Column with Superelastic Niti SMA and Replaceable Rubber Hinge for Earthquake Damage Mitigation,” Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, Published Online, May 2016.
- Mehrsoroush, A., and M. Saiidi, “Cyclic Response of Precast Bridge Piers with Novel Column Base Pipe Pins and Pocket Connections,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol 21, No. 4, April 2016.
- Saiidi, M., M. Tazarv, B. Nakashoji, S. Varela, and F. Kavianipour, “Resilient and Sustainable Bridges of the Future,” (Invited Paper), International Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2015, published online: September 2015, pp. 37-48.
- Haber, Z., M. Saiidi, and D. Sanders, “Behavior and Modeling of Mechanical Reinforcing Bar Splices,” American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 112, No. 2, March-April 2015, pp. 179-188.
- Shrestha, K., M. Saiidi, and C. Cruz, “Advanced Materials for Control of Post-Earthquake Damage in Bridges,” Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 2, 025035, January 2015.
- Tazarv, M. and Saiidi, M., “Low-Damage Precast Columns for Accelerated Bridge Construction in High Seismic Zones”, Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, September 2015, 13pp.
- Varela, S., and Saiidi, M., “Dynamic Performance of Innovative Bridge Columns with Superelastic CuAlMn Shape Memory Alloy and ECC,” International Journal of Bridge Engineering Vol. 2, No. 3, 2014, pp. 29-58.
- Tazarv, M., and M. Saiidi, “UHPC-Filled Duct Connections for Accelerated Bridge Construction of RC Columns in High Seismic Zones,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 99, pp.413-422, 2015.
- Saiidi, M., A. Vosooghi, H. Choi, and P. Somerville, “Shake Table Studies and Analysis of a Two-Span RC Bridge Subjected to Fault Rupture,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 19, No. 8, August 2014, pp. A4014003-1 to 9.
- Tazarv, M., and Saiidi, M., “Reinforcing NiTi Superelastic SMA for Concrete Structures,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE Vol. 141, No. 8, September 2014.
- Saiidi, M., A. Vosooghi, C. Cruz, S. Motaref, C. Ayoub, F. Kavianipour, and M. O’Brien, “Earthquake-Resistant Bridges of the Future with Advanced Materials,” Performance-Based Seismic Engineering- Vision for an Earthquake Resilient Society, Bled 4, Lake Bled, Slovenia, Springer 2013, pp. 63-76.
- Haber, Z., M. Saiidi, and D. Sanders, “Seismic Performance of Precast Columns with Mechanically Spliced Column-Footing Connections,” American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 111, No. 3, May-June 2014, pp. 639-650.
- Motaref, S., M. Saiidi, and D. Sanders, “Shake Table Studies of Energy Dissipating Segmental Bridge Columns,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 19, No. 2, February 2014, pp186-199.
A complete list of publications is available on my website.