Prospective graduate students
I am constantly looking for qualified and motivated graduate students. Preferred qualifications will depend on the nature of research projects and specific information will be posted here as new positions become available.
- Shake table tests on deep and shallow foundations
- Liquefaction and laterally spreading grounds, mitigation measures
- Site response analysis and soil-structure-interaction
- LRFD for deep foundations
- Analysis and interpretation of ground motions for soil-structure system response evaluation
Current research projects
- Evaluation of Soil-Structure Interaction in the Seismic Design of Buildings
- Local Site Effects and Reducing Uncertainties in Ground Motion Prediction Equations by Incorporating Site Period
- Lateral Analysis and LRFD of Large-Diameter Drilled Shafts
- Validation of Advanced Modeling Techniques Using Instrumented Building and Downhole Array Data
- Shake Table Tests on Shallow Foundations in Liquefiable Soils
- Development of Site-Specific Vertical Ground Motions
- Helical Piles for Underpinning of Shallow Foundations on Soils Susceptible to Liquefaction
- Evaluation of Nonlinear Soil Response Using Geotechnical Downhole Arrays
- Exploration of Scaling Effects Based on Small and Large Diameter Drilled Shaft Load Test Data
- Calibration of Resistance Factors for LRFD of Axially Loaded Drilled Shafts in Las Vegas Valley
- Saxena, S., Motamed, R., and Ryan, K. (2022) “Contrasting Subsurface Models for Physics-Based Regional-Scale Numerical Simulations in Japan Using a Rigorous Validation Scheme” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering (accepted).
- Bhuiyan, F.M., Motamed, R., Siddharthan, R.V., and Sanders, D. (2022) “Evaluation of a unified p-y method for lateral analysis of large-diameter drilled shafts using NVShaft” Transportation Geotechnics, Volume 36, September 2022, 100813.
- Boushehri, R., Motamed, R., Ellison, K., and Stanton, K. (2022) “Estimating Epistemic Uncertainty in Soil Parameters for Nonlinear Site Response Analyses: Introducing the Latin Hypercube Sampling Technique” Earthquake Spectra.
- Toth, J.A.W., Motamed, R., and Panorska, A. (2022) “A New Method for Extrapolating the Load-Displacement Response of Drilled Shaft Foundations for Interpretation of Side Capacity” Soils and Foundations, Volume 62, Issue 3, June 2022, 101154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sandf.2022.101154
- Yazdi, M., Motamed, R., and Anderson, J.G. (2022) “A New Set of Automated Methodologies for Estimating Site Fundamental Frequency and Its Uncertainty Using Horizontal-to-Vertical Spectral Ratio Curves” Seismological Research Letters, (2022) 93 (3): 1721–1736.
- Jahed Orang, M., Boushehri, R., Motamed, R., Parayancode, A., and Elgamal, A. (2021) “An Experimental Evaluation of Helical Piles as a Liquefaction-Induced Building Settlement Mitigation Measure” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Volume 151, December 2021, 106994.
- Zogh, P., Motamed, R., and Ryan, K. (2021) “Empirical Evaluation of Kinematic Soil-structure Interaction Effects in Structures with Large Footprints and Embedment Depths” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Volume 149, October 2021, 106893.
- Mojtahedzadeh, N., Ghalandarzadeh, A., and Motamed, R. (2021) “Experimental Evaluation of Dynamic Characteristics of Firoozkuh Sand using Cyclic Triaxial Tests” International Journal of Civil Engineering, Springer, June 2021, pp. 125-138.
- Jahed Orang, M., Motamed, R., Parayancode, A., and Elgamal, A. (2021) “Large-Scale Shake Table Tests on a Shallow Foundation in Liquefiable Soils” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 147, Issue 1 (January 2021).
- Bahadori, H., Hasheminezhad, A., Motamed, R., and Motamedi, H. (2020) “Shaking table tests on shallow foundations over geocomposite and geogrid-reinforced liquefiable soils” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 128, January 2020, 105986.
- O'Riordan, N., Almufti, I., Lee, J., Ellison, K., and Motamed, R. (2018) " Site response analysis for dynamic soil-structure interaction and performance-based design" ICE Proceedings Geotechnical Engineering (in press)
- Li, G., Motamed, R., and Dickenson, S. (2018) " Evaluation of One-Dimensional Multi-Directional Site Response Analyses Using Geotechnical Downhole Array Data" Earthquake Spectra. February 2018, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 349-376.
- Stanton, K., Motamed, R., and Elfass, S. (2017) "Robust LRFD resistance factor calibration for axially loaded drilled shafts in Las Vegas" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 143, Issue 6, June 2017.
- Li, G., and Motamed, R. (2017) " Finite element modeling of soil-pile response subjected to liquefaction-induced lateral spreading in a large-scale shake table experiment" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 92 (2017) 573-584.
- Motamed, R., Stanton, K., Almufti, I., Ellison, K., and Willford, M. (2016) " Improved Approach for Modeling Nonlinear Site Response of Highly Strained Soils: Case Study of the Service Hall Array in Japan" Earthquake Spectra, May 2016, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 1055-1074.
- Almufti, I., Motamed, R., Grant, D.N., and Willford, M. (2015) " Incorporation of velocity pulses in design ground motions for response history analysis using a probabilistic framework" Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, August 2015, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1647-1666.
- Motamed, R., Towhata, I., Honda, T., Tabata, K., and Abe, A. (2013) " Pile group response to liquefaction-induced lateral spreading: E-Defense large shake table test" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 51, August 2013, pages 35-46.
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2010) " Shaking table tests on pile groups behind quay wall model undergoing lateral spreading" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 136, No. 3, pp. 477-489.
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2010) " Mitigation measures for pile groups behind quay wall models undergoing lateral flow of liquefied soil: shaking table results" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 30, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1043-1060.
- Motamed, R., Sesov, V., Towhata, I., and Anh, N.T. (2010) " Experimental modelling of large pile groups in sloping ground subjected to liquefaction-induced lateral flow: 1-G shaking table tests" Soils and Foundations, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 261-280.
- CEE 442/642 Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering
- CEE 443/643 Foundation Engineering Design
- CEE 479/679 Earthquake Engineering
- CEE 745 Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
- CEE 746 Advanced Foundation Engineering
- CEE 748 Advanced Geotechnical Laboratory
- Dr. Zahra Faeli, 12/2021-present
- Reza Mohammadi, 08/2022-present
- Md Kausar Alam Anik, 08/2021-present
- Mohammad Yazdi, 08/2019-present
- Peiman Zogh, 08/2019-present
- Reza Boushehri, 01/2019-present
- Fahim Mashroor Bhuiyan, graduated
- Swasti Saxena, graduated
- Milad Jahed Orang, graduated
- Joseph Toth, graduated
- Gangjin Li, (graduated)
- Kevin Stanton, (graduated)