- Ph.D., University of Tokyo, 2007
- M.S., Iran University of Science and Technology, 2002
- B.S., Urmia University, 2000
- Shake table tests on deep and shallow foundations
- Liquefaction and laterally spreading, mitigation measures
- Site response analysis and soil-structure-interaction
- LRFD for deep foundations
- Analysis and interpretation of ground motions for soil-structure system response evaluation
Relevant past experience
- Member of E-Defense Shake table testing and planning
- Engineer and Senior Engineer, ARUP
- Lecturer, Santa Clara University
- O'Riordan, N., Almufti, I., Lee, J., Ellison, K., and Motamed, R. (2018) "Site response analysis for dynamic soil-structure interaction and performance-based design" ICE Proceedings Geotechnical Engineering (in press)
- Li, G., Motamed, R., and Dickenson, S. (2018) "Evaluation of One-Dimensional Multi-Directional Site Response Analyses Using Geotechnical Downhole Array Data" Earthquake Spectra. February 2018, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 349-376.
- Stanton, K., Motamed, R., and Elfass, S. (2017) "Robust LRFD resistance factor calibration for axially loaded drilled shafts in Las Vegas" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 143, Issue 6, June 2017.
- Li, G., and Motamed, R. (2017) "Finite element modeling of soil-pile response subjected to liquefaction-induced lateral spreading in a large-scale shake table experiment" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 92 (2017) 573-584.
- Motamed, R., Stanton, K., Almufti, I., Ellison, K., and Willford, M. (2016) "Improved Approach for Modeling Nonlinear Site Response of Highly Strained Soils: Case Study of the Service Hall Array in Japan" Earthquake Spectra, May 2016, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 1055-1074.
- Almufti, I., Motamed, R., Grant, D.N., and Willford, M. (2015) "Incorporation of velocity pulses in design ground motions for response history analysis using a probabilistic framework" Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, August 2015, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1647-1666.
- Motamed, R., Towhata, I., Honda, T., Tabata, K., and Abe, A. (2013) "Pile group response to liquefaction-induced lateral spreading: E-Defense large shake table test" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 51, August 2013, pages 35-46.
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2010) "Shaking table tests on pile groups behind quay wall model undergoing lateral spreading" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 136, No. 3, pp. 477-489.
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2010) "Mitigation measures for pile groups behind quay wall models undergoing lateral flow of liquefied soil: shaking table results" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 30, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1043-1060.
- Motamed, R., Sesov, V., Towhata, I., and Anh, N.T. (2010) "Experimental modelling of large pile groups in sloping ground subjected to liquefaction-induced lateral flow: 1-G shaking table tests" Soils and Foundations, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 261-280.