Ralph E. and Rose A. Hoeper Professor and Chair
- 2015 - Present: Professor and ENVE Program Director, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno
- 2017 - Present: Director, Nevada Water Innovation Institute
- 2007 - 2015: Professor, Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
- 2010: Visiting Professor, Catalan Institute for Water Research and University of Girona, Spain
- 2001 - 2007: Associate Professor, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
- 2003: Visiting Professor, Kluyver Laboratory of Biotechnology, Technical University of Delft, The Netherlands
- 1995 - 2001: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
- 1991 - 1994: Assistant Civil Engineer, County of Sacramento Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant, Elk Grove, California
- Ph.D., Civil (Environmental) Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
- M.S., Civil (Environmental) Engineering, University of Oklahoma, Norman, 1989
- B.E., Civil Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India, 1987
Prospective graduate students
I am seeking Ph.D. level students interested in water reclamation and reuse, with specific focus on potable reuse.
- Water reuse
- Water reclamation
- Water-economy nexus
- Microbial ecology
- Resource recovery
- Cornejo, P.K., Becker, J., Pagilla, K., Mo, W., Zhang, Q, Mihelcic, J., Chandran, K., Sturm, B., Yeh, D., Rosso, D. (2019) Sustainability Metrics for Assessing Water Resource Recovery Facilities of the Future, Water Env. Res., 91, 45-53.
- Law, K. and Pagilla, K.R. (2018) Phosphorus Recovery by Methods Beyond Struvite Precipitation, Water Env. Res., 90, 840-850.
- Haak, L., Sundaram, V., and Pagilla, K.R. (2018) Sustainability Assessment for Indirect Potable: A Case Study from Reno, Nevada, Water Env. Res., 90, 748-760.
- Li, L. and Pagilla, K.R. (2017) Biomass Density-Function Relationships in Suspended Growth Biological Processes – A Critical Review, Water Research, 111, 274-287.
- Roy, R., Haak, L., Li, L., and Pagilla, K.R. (2016) Anaerobic Digestion for Solids Reduction and Detoxification of Refinery Wastes, Process Biochemistry, 51, 1552-1560.
- Haak, L., Roy, R., and Pagilla, K.R. (2016) Biochemical Methane Potential and Toxicity of Raw and Pre-treated Refinery Sludge for Anaerobic Digestion, Chemosphere, 144, 1170-1176.
- Kunkel, S., Pagilla, K.R., and Stark, B. (2015) Directed Evolution to Produce Sludge Communities with Increased Oxygen Uptake Abilities, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 99(24), 10725-10734.
- Water reclamation process design
- Biological processes for water/wastewater treatment
- Environmental microbiology