skip to main content

Bringing Dependents

Graduate Student Association LogoThe Graduate Student Association (GSA) offers a variety of programs which can benefit the family of graduate students. International students are invited to participate in the Household Items Program that collects and redistributes various household items such as furniture, pots etc.

Dependents of students who wish to come to the U.S. must have their own dependent visas obtained at the U.S. consulate abroad. Bringing dependents to the U.S. involves supplementary expenses for support of their dependents in the amount of $7000 for a spouse and $3000 for each child. Students are advised to purchase medical insurance for dependents as soon as they arrive. Dependents of F-1 students will be applying for F-2 visas based on the I-20 issued by UNR. If you are a prospective student, please indicate that you will be bringing your dependents to UNR, and request the dependent I-20s at the time of admission. Dependents of J-1 students will be applying for J-2 visas based on the DS-2019 form issued by UNR.

F-2 dependents are unable to work; J-2 dependents may apply for work permit. Spouses of students and faculty on F-2, J-2, or H4 visas may study English at IELC and receive a 25% tuition discount when taking minimum 2 classes. Dependents are encouraged to get involved in diversity organizations and clubs such as the Friendship Family Program, and International Club, etc.

Take the next step...