Information for External Organizations
Many students receive scholarships from private and community organizations. We encourage these entities to send checks to the University for disbursements to the student. This ensures that the student is enrolled in a degree seeking program. Scholarship check(s) should be made payable to the Board of Regents and mailed to:
Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557
Please include all of the following information with the check:
- Student’s full name and Student ID (NSHE Number) or Date of Birth (no social security numbers please)
- Total amount of the scholarship for the academic year
- Unless otherwise noted, checks in amounts $999 and below will be disbursed in their entirety in the fall semester
- Checks in amounts of $1,000 or more will be divided into equal disbursements for fall and spring terms.
- If you do not want any review of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to occur, you must state the funds are SAP exempt in the letter accompanying the funds.
- Full time enrollment at the University of Nevada, Reno is required to disburse funds and is defined, for federal aid purposes, as 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits each fall and spring semester. Please specify minimum enrollment requirements for any summer scholarship funding as full time summer enrollment is highly unusual for students at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- This enrollment requirement does not consider enrollment at other NSHE institutions in the total credit requirement.
- Disbursement below these levels requires prior written authorization from the donor with a specific indication of the minimum number of credits required to disburse the funds.
- Funds must be received by August 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for the spring semester to allow time to verify the student’s enrollment and deposit the check into the student’s account to pay outstanding charges to the University.
- Funds will not be disbursed to students who are not making satisfactory academic progress unless the donor indicated the funds are exempt from this requirement.
- After all University of Nevada, Reno charges are paid funds remaining are issued to the student.
- Late charges of $25 per day begin to accrue to the student’s account on the Friday before classes begin; therefore, timely receipt of scholarship funds is very important.
- Please indicate in a letter accompanying the funds if the award is renewable for multiple years.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Please see our scholarship satisfactory progress policy. Annual progress notifications will only be prepared for external awards continuing for more than one academic year. You must notify us in writing, at the time of the award, if the funds should be excluded from SAP review.