Information for External Organizations
Many students receive scholarships from private and community organizations. We encourage these entities to send checks to the University for disbursements to the student. These funds are not tax deductible donations to the University of Nevada, Reno. Scholarship check(s) should be made payable to the Board of Regents and mailed to:
Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557
Please include all of the following information with the check:
- Student’s full name and Student ID (NSHE Number) or Date of Birth (no social security numbers please)
- Total amount of the scholarship for the academic year
- Unless otherwise specified, checks in amounts $999 and below will be disbursed in their entirety in the fall semester
- Checks in amounts of $1,000 or more will be divided into equal disbursements for fall and spring terms.
- If you do not want any review of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to occur, you must state the funds are SAP exempt in the letter accompanying the funds.
- Full time degree seeking enrollment at the University of Nevada, Reno is the default requirement for scholarships including external organization scholarships. This is defined, for federal aid purposes, as 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits each semester.
- This enrollment requirement does not consider enrollment at other NSHE institutions
- Disbursement below full time requires prior written authorization from the donor with a specific indication of the minimum number of credits required to disburse the funds.
- Summer scholarships must be accompanied by a minimum enrollment since enrollment in 12 credits during summer is extremely unusual
- Funds must be received by August 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for the spring semester to allow time to verify the student’s enrollment and deposit the check into the student’s account to pay outstanding charges to the University by the fee due date.
- Funds will not be disbursed to students who are not making satisfactory academic progress unless the donor indicated the funds are exempt from this requirement.
- Late charges of $25 per day begin to accrue to the student account after the Friday before classes begin; therefore, timely receipt of scholarship funds is very important.
- Please indicate in a letter accompanying the funds if the award is renewable for multiple years.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Please see our scholarship satisfactory progress policy. Annual progress notifications will only be prepared for external awards continuing for more than one academic year. Please notify us in writing, at the time of the award, if the funds should be excluded from SAP review.