Appointment policies and procedures
The University Writing & Speaking Center (UWSC) offers in-person and online consultations. You can choose to meet with us in-person, online asynchronously, using targeted marginal comments and a letter, or synchronously, using live chat or video options.
- The UWSC schedule consists of 45-minute time blocks.
- For the asynchronous option, you will need to attach your double-spaced, .docx or .rtf paper, and you will receive your response via email.
- The UWSC HOC and LOC guide can help assist you in choosing topics for review.
- For the synchronous option, you will have to the option of audio only or audio and video on your appointment form.
- You will NOT receive an email with a link.
- To begin your synchronous appointment, log back in to this website and open your appointment by clicking on the yellow box on the day and time of your appointment. A pop-up window will open, click "Start or Join Online Consultation" (in pink lettering).
- If the synchronous window is not opening after you click "Start or Join Online Consultation," make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off for the browser you are using and then try the link again.
Undergraduate students may receive up to one 45-minute appointment of writing and speaking/presenting support each day the Writing & Speaking Center is open (this policy applies to all schedules).
Graduate students may receive up to one and a half (two 45-minute appointments) hours of writing and speaking/presenting support with a consultant. Graduate students are limited to one 1.5 hour appointment per week, but are welcome to make appointments with our consultants (up to 1 appointment a day) for their remaining two appointments.
All students are limited to six (6) appointments per week or 4.5 hours.
To ensure that students seeking writing support receive consultations, the University Writing & Speaking Center has a strict cancellation policy. Students can cancel consultations in our WCOnline system up to 30 minutes prior to the start of the session; additionally, students can call (775) 784-6030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel consultations. Students who miss scheduled consultations without notifying the Writing Center prior to the start time will be blocked from making new appointments until they contact Writing & Speaking Center administration to discuss reactivation of the account.