Providing writing & presentation support is our passion. Here you can learn more about our values, what to expect in working with us, and how to become a writing & speaking consultant.
The mission of the University Writing & Speaking Center is to assist our students in any stage of the writing process through peer-to-peer consultation and small-group instruction. Through this, we strive to create an academic community of strong and confident writers and presenters, both at the University of Nevada, Reno and in Northern Nevada.
- All students at the University of Nevada, Reno seeking assistance with their writing are entitled to free consultation services at the University Writing & Speaking Center.
- We will be friendly, professional, and will treat fellow students and consultants with respect.
- Sessions at the University Writing & Speaking Center will be constructive and cooperative. We are not a drop-off editing or proofreading service, but we will work with all students in becoming stronger writers and presenters through interaction, feedback and consultation. We will refrain from giving predictions as to what grade a student will receive on a paper, and instead focus on improving or strengthening the contents of the paper.
- All of our consultants will be sensitive to students about their writing and presenting abilities, and we will focus our efforts on creating confidence.
- We will make every effort to accommodate all students regarding their scheduling needs. Students are strongly encouraged to make an appointment using our scheduling system; however, we will do our best to accommodate walk-ins. Appointments are capped at 45-minutes per day to accommodate as many students as possible. When in session, all writing & speaking consultants will respect their time with the student. It is important that students come prepared and on time.
- The methods employed by the University Writing & Speaking Center will be evaluated frequently to ensure that we are effective and innovative. We will employ social validity measures from our clientele and undergo assessment procedures by our staff.
- We respect confidentiality and will not disclose personal information of our clientele, staff, or anyone else affiliated with the University Writing & Speaking Center. Consultants will not ask for any personal information in a session. Consultants will document session occurrences, and if requested by the student, will forward this report to the student's instructor or the student.
- We will work with our consultants to ensure that we are always providing the best service possible. We understand that we have a diverse student population, and we will be respectful of their changing needs.