Whittell Forest Graduate Research Fellowship
Graduate students of all disciplines are encouraged to apply for this unique opportunity to work on research projects in the Whittell Forest & Wildlife Area.
Research & Innovation is offering two fellowships for the 2020-2021 fiscal year. The maximum individual award amount is $1,500 and the awards are available to graduate students enrolled in any academic program at the University of Nevada, Reno or the University of Nevada, Las Vegas who leverage the Whittell Forest to advance their graduate work.
Grants will be awarded on the basis of:
- Merits of proposed research, including problem importance, originality and study design
- Feasibility of successfully completing the proposed work
- Preference will be given to students lacking financial support and to underrepresented disciplines
- Applicants must be graduate students enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program at the University of Nevada, Reno or the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Applicants must use Whittell Forest & Wildlife Area as a core research site.
- Students from all departments and disciplines are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Salaries and stipends
- Travel to/from field site
- Field, lab or computing supplies
A complete application contains the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page) detailing personal motivations for research
- Project description (not to exceed three pages in length), including the following:
- Significance of research
- Study objectives and/or research questions
- Brief review of relevant literature
- Study design
- Itemized budget
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of recommendation from supervising faculty advisor indicating support of proposed research and addressing the merits for funding this research
- Copies of appropriate collecting permits, where applicable.
The full application package should be sent as a single PDF to Sarah Bisbing at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m., Friday, Sept. 11, 2020.
Review process and additional information
- Applications will be reviewed by a subcommittee, including the Whittell Forest Administration and Whittell Forest Advisory Committee.
- Awards are available for the 2020-2021 fiscal year, with the possibility of additional funding to support ongoing work if progress is made toward study completion and at the discretion of the Whittell Forest Administration and the Whittell Forest Advisory Committee.