The Whittell Forest & Wildlife Area GIS datasets and maps were created by Tom Dilts, research scientist in the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources.
The streaming GIS web maps are available publicly on ArcGIS online and can be accessed using the following links.
Web maps for the Whittell Forest & Wildlife Area
- Canopy height (2017)
- Canopy Height Model (2015)
- Elevation (meters)
- Elevation (feet)
- Fire severity (2016)
- Forest treatments (2005)
- Hydrology ( web map)
- Slope (degrees)
- Slope (percent)
- Transportation slope (degrees)
- Transportation slope (percent)
- Vegetation (CALVEG)
- Vegetation - Little Valley
Loading GIS data in GIS software programs
QGIS, ArcMap, and ArcGIS Pro are professional GIS software programs that run on desktop computers. QGIS is open source and freely available to download. ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are commonly-used, proprietary software programs. All three programs allow you to overlay your own data in a wide variety of formats (shapefile, kml, geotiff, gpx, geodatabase, etc.) with the Whittell Forest data. Following are the instructions for loading Whittell GIS data into these software.
Opening feature layers and tile layers in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro
- Go to the ARCGIS Whittell Forest maps.
- Select the feature layer or tile layer that wish to bring into ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro.
- Click on the Open in ArcGIS Desktop followed by Open in ArcMap or Open in ArcGIS Pro.
- Click Open. This will launch ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro (if installed on your computer) and will add the pre-symbolized layers directly into the map.
Opening feature layers and tile layers in QGIS
- Open QGIS on your computer.
- Go to Layers, then Add Layer, then Add ArcGIS Feature Server Layer.
- Type in a new name for the service and copy in the following URL: https://services3.arcgis.com/QCH1Le0vwRIyplqB/ArcGIS/rest/services
- Click OK and then Close.
Note: As of Version 3.10.2, QGIS only supports Esri map services and feature services, but not tile services.
Google Earth maps for the Whittell Forest & Wildlife Area
- Whittell Forest Boundary
- Whittell Forest Parcels
- Hydrology (Google Earth map)
- Elevation Contours 100 feet
- Elevation Contours 25 meters
- Vegetation Whittell Study 2005
- Vegetation CALVEG
- Little Valley Fire Severity 2016
- Soils USDA SSURGO
- Fuels Treatments 2005
Loading KMZ files into Google Earth
You will need to have Google Earth installed on your computer. Simply download the KMZ files and double-click on it to launch Google Earth. It will automatically zoom to the correct location.