Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The New Post- 9/11 GI Bill® program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally, benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is a new benefit providing educational assistance to individuals who have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill®

How to apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®

New Applicant. The VA processes applications online. When you apply online, please print out the application and bring it to the University's Veteran's Services Office so we know you applied online and can remind the Veterans Administration Office of your method of applying for benefits.

Transfer Applicant. You may apply by filling out VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. The original VA Form 22-1995 and a University of Nevada, Reno Veteran's Course Submission Form must be submitted to the University Veteran's Services Office.

Transferring unused Post-9/11 educational benefits to dependents/spouses

Servicemembers enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program are be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children. For specific questions on your eligibility, please call your military service career counselor or personnel center. The VA does not determine eligibility for transferring educational benefits.

More information on transferring educational benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website.