Internal funding opportunities
Our office is continually working on initiatives to recognize our faculty and reward creativity, productivity and innovative research endeavors. Check back with us regularly and watch your emails for announcements and opportunities through Researchnotes—our Research & Innovation group email list.
Dimensions - Grants for liberal arts and journalism
Dimensions is an initiative that provides grants for faculty in the College of Liberal Arts and the Reynold's School of Journalism.
- Large grants initiative: Grants for up to $8,000 designed to fund collaborative and/or interdisciplinary research or creative projects involving a team of faculty (two or more) at the University and, in approved cases, from other institutions.
- Small grants initiative: Research travel grants for up to $3,000 to support research, scholarly and creative projects requiring travel outside of the Reno/Tahoe area for the liberal arts and journalism.
Faculty travel grants
We encourage academic faculty to engage in travel that will have clear outcomes linking to the University’s strategic goals and a positive impact for their department. These grants provide travel funding resources for faculty and are processed in cycles throughout the year.
The current application cycle for Faculty Travel Grants is on hold and we are not accepting applications. Due to the escalating severity of the COVID-19 outbreak, recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and the U.S. Department of State’s issuance of a Global Travel 3 alert, the University is suspending all University-supported international travel and non-essential domestic travel by University employees and students.
It is unknown at this time when these restrictions will change, therefore this Faculty Travel Grant cycle will remain on hold until further information is released.
Faculty travel grants are processed in three cycles:
- Travel occurring July 1 to Oct 31 (applications accepted Apr 1 to May 24)
- Travel occurring Nov 1, 2019 to Feb 29 (applications accepted Aug 1 to Sept 20)
- Travel occurring Mar 1 to June 30 (applications accepted Dec 1 to Jan 24)
Funding up to $1000 that is open to all academic faculty with a research expectation who have a contract to produce scholarly or creative work, such as a book, monograph or multimedia work, and need assistant with production costs.
Research enhancement grants
This opportunity is targeted towards enhancing the competitiveness of proposals that will be resubmitted to federal agencies.
Seed funding: μICRo grants
A competitive internal grant open to academic faculty in groups of two or more for a 1:1 match for your F&A funds. Applications will open once per semester.
Seed funding: New scholarly endeavor grants
A competitive internal grant open to academic faculty in groups of two or more for $2,500 or a 1:1 match for faculty funds up to $5,000. Applications will open once per semester.