In-person MPH admissions process
The Admissions Committee seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds who have the qualifications and credentials to succeed in public health practice. The multi-faceted nature of the public health profession now demands students from diverse educational and professional backgrounds. We welcome inquiries and applications from anyone who has a passion for improving the health of our communities.
Therefore, while we seek students who meet both University of Nevada, Reno and School of Community Health Sciences (SCHS) requirements for graduate status, we consider other important attributes such as volunteer and professional experiences, career objectives, and potential to contribute to the public health profession.
Prospective students must meet the graduate admission requirements of both the University of Nevada, Reno and School of Community Health Sciences, per the following guidelines:
- Regular fall admission: The final deadline for fall 2021 admission is June 1st. Only one MPH cohort is admitted each year. If you miss the deadline and would like to discuss enrolling in graduate special coursework that could be applied to the MPH program, please contact Dr. Kristen Clements-Nolle, Director of Graduate Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, with an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4-point scale: If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 but higher than 2.75 your application will be considered if your GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework is 3.0 or higher. If you graduated from an international college or university, please contact The Graduate School for approval of your undergraduate degree for graduate studies at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- GRE scores (optional): The GRE is NOT required for the MPH program, but may be submitted if applicant believes it will strengthen their application. If test scores are submitted, they should be official scores from an exam taken within the past 5 years.
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo Test Scores (required if education history is from a non-English Speaking Country). OFFICIAL TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo test scores are required if your educational history is from a non-English speaking country. Minimum scores: TOEFL: 550 (paper) or 79 (internet); IELTS: 6.5 (academic version); Duolingo: 105.
- Three letters of recommendation: Letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant's motivation, academic capability, scholarship potential, and personal goals for graduate study.
- Statement of purpose: The essay should be approximately 500 words in length, outlining the student's interest in graduate study in public health, potential research interests, career objectives, and specifying the MPH emphasis of interest (Biostatistics; Epidemiology; Health Administration and Policy; Social and Behavioral Health)
- Resume or CV: Current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) that demonstrates professional and/or educational health-related experience.
MPH program prerequisite coursework
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate course in statistics.
- Students who did not graduate from an undergraduate program accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health must complete the Basics of Public Health course that covers the 12 Foundational Public Health Knowledge learning objectives. The Basics of Public Health course is completed for no academic credit and the student pays no fees or tuition for completing the course. This course should be completed before the start of the program.
MPH application process
Two separate applications are necessary for admission to the Master of Public Health program:
- SOPHAS: One application package is submitted directly to SOPHAS
- The Graduate School: The second application package is submitted to The Graduate School of the University of Nevada, Reno. Before applying for admission, please note the admission requirements above.
MPH Application 1: SOPHAS
The following materials should be submitted directly to SOPHAS:
- Transcripts: One official copy of transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- GRE Scores (optional): The GRE is NOT required for the MPH program, but may be submitted if the applicant believes it will strengthen their application . Submit OFFICIAL GRE scores by using the University of Nevada, Reno SOPHAS code 7828.
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo Test Scores (required if education history is from a non-English Speaking Country). TOEFL scores can be submitted using the University of Nevada, Reno SOPHAS code 5688.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or CV
MPH Application 2: The Graduate School
A very short application to the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School is also required, but you will not need to re-submit the other materials submitted to SOPHAS. Fees for the University of Nevada, Reno application will be covered by the School of Community Health Sciences.
To start the application, follow these directions:
- Access the application through the Graduate School's online application portal.
- Click create account to create a username and password and then log in and begin the short application.
- At the end of the application, there is an "Application Fee Waiver" section with instructions. The coupon code to use is CHS2021.
- Enter the coupon code ( CHS2021) and click "save and review."
- After you finish reviewing click "save and pay".
- This will take you to next page where you will select "request a waiver" and then "submit waiver request". This can take a few minutes, but please wait for it to finish. You should get a congratulations page when it is complete.
Please be aware that you will not be considered for admission until you have submitted a completed SOPHAS application and the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School application.
MPH information in University catalog
For comprehensive information about the program, please see the University catalog: