Ancient relationships between hosts and microbes provide insight into key biological processes including digestion, infection, nutrition, resistance to disease, immune programming, and metabolic development. By understanding these relationships, and how they are created or maintained, my work seeks to build rational, translational technologies and therapies. Using biotechnology, molecular biology, and an understanding of ecological and evolutionary relationships, we aim to improve our understanding of the gut microbiome and food. We also work to actively facilitate the dissemination of these discoveries and innovations to practice in industry, medicine, and research.
- National Institutes for Health, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Ruth Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellowship. 2015 “The Impact of Milk Glycopeptide and Bifidobacterium on the Weaning Gut Microbiome” F32AT00853301
- Nutrititive compositions with bioactive proteins.”
- “Compositions and methods to promote host defense and stimulate, expand, and/or reset T-cell repertoires.”
- “Compostions and method of use for H5-competent Bifidobacterium Longum subsp. infantis”
US Patent Application. 2018. 20220010267
- “Novel oligosaccharides for use in prebiotic applications”
US Patent Application. 2018. 2021016924
- “Diagnosis and treatment of dysbiosis associated with NEC.” WO2020142755A1. 2019.
- “Activation of conditionally-expressed oligosaccharide pathways during fermentation of probiotic strains.” WO2019143871A1. 2018.
- “Method for determining dysbiosis in the intestinal microbiome.” WO2019136186A2. 2018.
- “Oligosaccharide compositions and their use during transitional phases of the mammalian gut microbiome.” WO2019055717A1. 2017.
- “Metabolomic revision of mammalian infants.” WO2019055718A1. 2017.
- “Method for facilitation maturation of the mammalian immune system.” WO2018006080A1. 2016.
- “Food compositions for weaning.” WO2017156548A1. 2016.
- “Transient commensal microorganisms for improving gut health.” WO2017156550A1. 2016.
- “Compositions that metabolize or sequester free sugar monomers and uses thereof.” WO2016149149A1. 2015.
- “Reduction of milk glycans and their degradation products in the neonate gut.” WO2016094836A1. 2014.
Awards, Honors, & Professional Recognition
- University of Nevada Foundation, Early Career Innovator Award (2022).
- European Probiotic Association, Jules Tournut Probiotics Prize for innovative and significant contributions to probiotic research in animal nutrition (2014)
B.S. Allegheny College
Ph.D. University of Nebraska, Lincoln