Information and Forms for Students Taking Nuclear Packaging Graduate Program Classes at Oak Ridge National Laboratory

The Tennessee Higher Education Commission requires that students who take UNR courses at Oak Ridge National Laboratory sign forms showing that they understand the information on this page. Please send any question you have to the Nuclear Packaging Graduate Program.

Virtual Facility Tour

Classes will take place in Building 5100 of Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

University Catalog and Program Description

Time to Complete a Graduate Certificate

The graduate certificates in Nuclear Packaging and in Transportation Security and Safeguards both require 9 units of coursework. The Nuclear Packaging Graduate Program offers one-week (1-unit) and two-week (2-unit) in-person courses at National Laboratories and on the UNR campus. It also offers a 3-unit internship (NP 640), which may be conducted at nuclear labs, government agencies, or industry sites.

The number of years required to complete a graduate certificate depends on how many courses a student takes per year. For example, a student who completes an internship and three weeks of classes per year can earn a graduate certificate in two years. Students must complete the coursework for a graduate certificate in 6 years or less, unless they receive a time waiver. Finally, some courses are not offered every year, and this may affect how long it takes to complete a graduate certificate.

Program Fees (as of June 2024)

To earn UNR graduate certificate, students must enroll in the graduate certificate program and pay an enrollment fee ($60). At the time of completion, they must pay a graduation fee ($150). They must complete 9 units of coursework with a C grade or better, and with an average grade of B or better. For each class, students must first complete National Laboratory enrollment and fee payment process. They must then complete additional UNR enrollment and fee payment processes. At the current time, most laboratories charge approximately $2500 per one unit course. All required course materials are included in the lab fees. UNR also charges $450 per unit.
As of June 2024, the approximate total fees to earn a graduate certificate are $22,500 in laboratory fees and $4260 in UNR fees, for a total of $26,760. Students are responsible for any travel, lodging and per diem expenses associated with taking classes.

UNR Refund Policy

Transferability of Credits Disclosure

Credits earned at the University of Nevada, Reno may not transfer to another educational institution. Credits earned at another educational institution may not be accepted by the University of Nevada, Reno. You should obtain confirmation that the University of Nevada, Reno will accept any credits you have earned at another educational institution before you execute an enrollment contract or agreement. You should also contact any educational institutions that you may want to transfer credits earned at the University of Nevada, Reno to determine if such institutions will accept credits earned at the University of Nevada, Reno prior to executing an enrollment contract or agreement. The ability to transfer credits from University of Nevada, Reno to another educational institution may be very limited. Your credits may not transfer and you may have to repeat courses previously taken at University of Nevada, Reno if you enroll in another educational institution. You should never assume that credits will transfer to or from any educational institution. It is highly recommended and you are advised to make certain that you know the transfer of credit policy of University of Nevada, Reno and of any other educational institutions you may in the future want to transfer the credits earned at University of Nevada, Reno before you execute an enrollment contract or agreement.

Grievance Policy

UNR Nuclear Packaging Graduate Program grievance policy

Any person claiming damage or loss as a result of any act or practice by this institution that may be a violation of the Title 49, Chapter 7, Part 20 and Rule Chapters 1520-01-10 and 1520-01-02 may file a complaint with the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC), Division of Postsecondary State Authorization. THEC only investigates complaints that have exhausted an institution’s policy and that have not been resolved at the institution level. If you have any questions regarding the complaint process, you may contact Julie Woodruff at or (615) 253-8857.

Request for Complaint Review

Placement, Completion and Withdrawal Information

This is a new program. Placement, completion and withdrawal information will be provided by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) on approximately June 1, 2025 (one year after the institution begins offering the program in Tennessee).

Required Forms

Before enrolling for UNR credit in any courses offered by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, students are required to complete and sign the following two forms.