Why Fraternity & Sorority Life?
Did You Know?
- Fraternity and sorority members are significantly more satisfied with their college experience than non-affiliated students.
- 85% of the Fortune 500 executives are members of fraternal organizations.
- Fraternity and sorority members have a higher graduation rate than non-members.
- Over 85% of student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in fraternities and sororities.
- 43 of the 50 nation's largest corporations are led by fraternity and sorority members.
- Less than 2% of an average college student's expenses go toward fraternity and sorority dues.
Fraternities and sororities provide their members with support and an atmosphere that fosters academic success and individual scholarship. Organizations encourage each of their members in their studies, offering academic support programs, mentorship, establishing minimum academic standards for membership, and providing incentives and recognition for outstanding achievements.
Each fraternity and sorority offers its members direct exposure to the development of leadership skills through a variety of executive and chair positions. Fraternity and Sorority Life also provides campus-level leadership experience and often serves as a stepping stone to other leadership opportunities and activities.
Our fraternities and sororities play an exceedingly active role in various annual campus events, including Homecoming, Mackay Week, and other events sponsored by the Associated Students of Nevada (ASUN) Programming Board. Additionally, each governing council offers its members a variety of social and recreational activities each year, including Greek Week, the Fraternity and Sorority Life Summit, cookouts, and potlucks. Getting involved in campus life provides a valuable experience and helps you develop friendships that last a lifetime.
Community Service and Philanthropy
Each fraternity and sorority, as well as the Interfraternity and Multicultural Greek Councils, sponsor community service and philanthropic activities locally and nationally. Chapter members also participate in personal and group community service projects.
Socials and Formals
Each chapter holds social events with other fraternities and sororities, allowing members to meet other members within the fraternal community. Socials can include any number of events, such as formals, dances, themed parties, athletic competitions, and more.
The Office of Fitness and Recreational Sports offers an Intramural Program on campus. Fraternities and sororities actively participate and compete in a variety of sports, ranging from ping-pong to flag football. At the end of each season, chapters often compete for the rights to be Intramural Champion for the year and are extremely successful in tournaments.