Dr. Commuri is a professor of electrical and biomedical engineering. Prior to joining the University in January 2016, he worked at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK where he was the Gerald Tuma Presidential Professor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering. He holds a bachelor's degree from JNT University in Hyderabad, India, a master's degree from the Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur, India and a Ph.D. from the University of Texas, Arlington all in the area of electrical engineering.
He serves as the Editor-at-Large of the International Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems and on the Editorial Board of International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. He is also a member of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) Task Force on Intelligent Compaction.
Dr. Commuri has over 30 years' experience in the areas of Embedded Controls, Automotive Control and Control of Off-Road Equipment. Prior to joining the University of Oklahoma in 2002, Dr. Commuri held positions at Motorola, Vermeer, Xerox, and consulted for leading Fortune 500 companies including Ford Motor Company, Mitsubishi, Emerson Electric, Caterpillar and John Deere.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Texas, Arlington, Texas, 1996 Dissertation: A Framework for Intelligent Control of Nonlinear Systems. Advisor: Prof. Frank L. Lewis
- Master of Technology, Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India. 1989
- Bachelor of Technology, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, India, 1985
University of Nevada, Reno, since January 2016
Professor, Department of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Technical Director, Nevada Advanced Autonomous Systems Innovation Center, January 2016 - June 2017
University of Oklahoma, 2002-2015
Gerald Tuma Presidential Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Associate Professor 1/14/2002 - 7/31/2011, tenured 2008, Professor 2010, Presidential Professor 2013.
Member, University Research Council, Office of the Vice President for Research, University of Oklahoma, August 2014 - July 2017
- Evaluation of research proposals for internal funding by the University Vice President for Research
- Evaluation of faculty nominations for university-wide awards by the University Vice President for Research
Chair, Graduate Studies Committee, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Oklahoma, since August 2013
- Managed the transition to electronic processing of graduate applications
- Implemented mechanisms for Fellowships to recruit quality graduate students
Member, Committee 'A', School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 2010 - 2012
- Responsible for annual performance evaluations of ECE faculty
- Mentoring and evaluating performance of tenure track faculty
Member, Undergraduate Studies Committee, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 2007-2010.
Editor-at-Large, Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Springer, Netherlands, since 2014. Chief Editor: Dr. Ing. Prof. Kimon P Valvanis (Senior Editor 2012-2014; Area Editor 2006-2012).
Staff Engineer, Motorola, Champaign, Illinois, 5/15/2000 - 11/28/2001
- Coordinated international teams located in Sydney Australia; Beijing, China; Hyderabad, India; Libertyville, Illinois, USA; Luton, UK; Paris, France for the development of 3G cellular phone
- Implemented Protocol Test Platform and tested functionality of 3G WCDMA phone hardware
- First 3G Voice Call accomplished using hardware base station simulator
- Championed software development methodologies and helped PTF group in Motorola Urbana-Champaign Software Development Center get CMM level 3 certification
Senior Systems Engineer, Vermeer Manufacturing Co., Pella, Iowa, 9/1/1999 - 5/15/2000
- Controls design for Horizontal Directional Drills
- Development of eStrategy for the ACS group in Vermeer
- Recruitment and training of Systems Engineers
Engineering Manager, CGN & Associates, Peoria, Illinois, 2/1/1996 - 8/31/1999
- Business development. Started the Embedded Systems Consulting group and grew it to over 40 employees with annual budget of over $4M
- Managed a staff of over 40 engineers including their performance evaluations, training, and career development
- System architect
- Project management
- Technical sales
Research Associate, Automation and Robotics Research Institute, University of Texas, Arlington, 9/1/1991 - 2/1/1996
- Control of ship-board antenna for acquiring and tracking satellites
- Control of flexible link robot for improving yield in the manufacture of silicon wafers
Research Associate, School of Engineering Science, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 1/14/1991 - 8/31/1999
Research Engineer, School of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 3/1/1989 - 12/31/1990
- Hardware in the loop system simulator
- Design of networked microcomputer systems for microprocessor education
Research Associate, School of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 7/1/1987 - 2/28/1989
Customer Engineer, Xerox Ltd., India, 8/15/1985 - 7/31/1986