Committee on the Status of Women
The Committee on the Status of Women (CSW) is composed of faculty and staff who are concerned with gender equity on campus. The CSW was originally authorized by the Board of Regents, and the committee reports to the President through the University Diversity and Inclusion Officer.
As a committee, we take on projects that address the issues and concerns of gender equity on campus, and provide support and networking opportunities for University of Nevada, Reno faculty and staff.
The mission of the CSW is to identify and communicate the issues and concerns of women and feminine-presenting identities, including trans women and non-binary faculty and staff regarding their experiences in, and expectations of, the University.
- To ensure that the issues and concerns of women and non-gender confirming people are communicated appropriately
- To provide opportunities for networking and the development of support systems for women and feminine-presenting people.
- To ensure that gender is not a barrier to full participation in the academic, professional, social and cultural life of the University
Diversity & Inclusion: Cheyenne Magpantay, firstname.lastname@example.org
CSW current projects
- Working with campus administration to expand the number of lactation rooms on campus, especially in underserved areas.
- Other efforts are aimed at addressing issues related to the recent Campus Climate Survey.
- Worked with campus administration and Facilities Services to ensure a lactation room is included in the design for each new major building constructed.
- Successfully created four on-campus and two off-campus lactation rooms, available to the entire University community.
- Co-sponsored Nevada Attorney General Cortez Masto's talk on "Prevention of Campus Violence."
- The CSW researched and prepared a substantial report on how the budget crisis affected women students, staff and faculty at the University. The report was presented to the Provost.
- The CSW has also negotiated enhancements to safety on campus: improved lighting and walkways, extended hours for the campus escort service, and scheduling personal safety and self-defense classes.
- Sponsored a speaker's series on critical issues.
- Co-sponsored summit on the Status of Women in Nevada.
Subscribe to the CSW listserv
Faculty, staff and students that would like to stay informed regarding events and initiatives relating to the CSW, should subscribe to the Committee on the Status of Women listserv. This list is managed by the CSW Executive Board.
Join the Committee on the Status of Women
Faculty, staff and students that are interested in becoming an active member of the Committee on the Status of Women should complete the Get Involved form below. The committee meets monthly during the academic year.