What is Alianza?
Alianza was founded in 2017 at the University of Nevada, Reno as an association of Chicanx, Latinx and Indigenous faculty and staff members who were interested in shaping and advancing diversity initiatives on campus while addressing issues pertinent to diverse communities.
Alianza is an association dedicated to creating a collaborative and generative environment that addresses topics relevant to Chicanx, Latinx, Indigenous, and other underrepresented groups in order to advance educational, research, professional development, and diversity initiatives at the University of Nevada, Reno and in our respective communities. ¡Que viva la causa!
Alianza aims to:
- Provide networking, professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Assist with efforts to recruit and retain diverse faculty, staff and students
- Advance research related to Chicanx, Latinx and Indigenous studies
- Facilitate critical discourse and shape policies that advance diversity initiatives
- Communicate effectively and cooperate with the appropriate university officials to address concerns and provide solutions to relevant issues
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the University administration and other entities on campus
- Educate the university community and the community at large about Chicanx, Latinx, and Indigenous issues and initiatives
Executive Board: Academic Year 2019-2021
Co-chairs: Cecilia Brooke Cholka and Tania Leal
Development Coordinator: Mariluz García
Secretary/Communication Coordinator: Jafeth Sanchez
Social Media Coordinator: Mayra Sierra-Ruiz and J. Diego Zarazúa
Liaisons: Claudia Cruz, Karla Hernández, Juana Reynoza-Gomez, and Verónica Zepeda