Bachelor of Fine Arts
- More Info: Loading...
The Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree program is an interdisciplinary professional undergraduate studio offering within the Department of Art. Since its inception in 1997, the BFA program has been in place to provide the greatest level of undergraduate, professional preparation for exceptional art students. The intent is to fully prepare these students to pursue graduate level study or function as professional practicing artists.
The program is interdisciplinary by design; students accepted into the program come from all disciplines within the department including ceramics, digital media, drawing, painting, performance, photography, printmaking, sculpture and video. Students work to explore their creative development in an atmosphere that encourages cross-discipline activities and engagement.
How to Apply
Students who have completed 60 credits hours overall may apply for the Bachelor of Fine Arts program. The Department of Art will screen candidates through an application process and determine a candidate's acceptance.
Applicants must have completed a minimum of 12 credits in studio art and nine credits in art history. Candidates must have and maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in art courses to gain acceptance to the major. Applications may be submitted no earlier than the end of the student's second year of full-time study.
Entrance to the program is determined via a review of full application. Detailed attention will be given to portfolio materials. Department faculty will conduct the application and portfolio review.
Bachelor of Fine Art students are admitted in fall semester only.
Applicants are to submit a completed application form, portfolio, and any additional supporting materials,* (such as exhibition announcements, newspaper publicity, etc.) no later than 4:30pm Feb. 15, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
*Supporting materials are optional.
BFA Portfolio Submission Guidelines
Please submit one PDF document saved as 'LastName_FirstName' which contains:
- Your completed application form
- Portfolio of 10-20 images representing your work (when creating your PDF make images 72 dpi, not to exceed 800 pixels in either dimension, to keep the document small in size).
- Performance, video, and interactive media must be submitted as an active URL placed in a PDF, and must not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Submit URLs for web-specific artwork.
- NO ORIGINAL ARTWORKS WILL BE ACCEPTED
Please also provide either:
- a) image descriptions with each image, including your name, title, dimensions, date work completed and specific media
- b) a page with a numbered image inventory list, including your name, title, dimensions, date work completed and specific media
- You may include brief descriptions where necessary.
1. "Untitled # 134," gelatin silver print, 20" x 24", 2005
2. "Valentine," steel sculpture, 72" x 24" x 20", 2004
Submit the application either via email to Inge Bruggeman at firstname.lastname@example.org or via flash drive (with a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of your flash drive) to the Art office room 209, Church Fine Arts building by 4:30pm Feb. 15, 2018.
For more information, please contact BFA advisor Inge Bruggeman.
Related Degrees and Programs
Contact College of Liberal Arts
|Location||Ansari Business Building|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557