- Ph.D., University of Tokyo, 2007
- M.S., Iran University of Science and Technology, 2002
- B.S., Urmia University, 2000
- Physical modeling in geotechnical earthquake engineering Shake table tests on pile foundations and waterfront structures
- Liquefaction and laterally spreading grounds; mitigation measures
- LRFD for deep foundations
- Seismic hazard analysis and site response analysis
- Strong ground motions and near-fault effects
- Microtremor measurement
- Train-induced ground vibrations and remedial measures
Relevant past experience
- Member of E-Defense Shake table testing and planning
- Engineer and Senior Engineer, ARUP
- Lecturer, Santa Clara University
- Almufti, I., Motamed, R., Grant, D.N., and Willford, M. (2013) "Incorporation of velocity pulses in design ground motions for response history analysis using a probabilistic framework" Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (accepted).
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2013) "Pile group response to liquefaction-induced lateral spreading: E-Defense large shake table test" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 51, August 2013, pages 35-46.
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2010) "Shaking table tests on pile groups behind quay wall model undergoing lateral spreading" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 136, No. 3, pp. 477-489.
- Motamed, R., and Towhata, I. (2010) "Mitigation measures for pile groups behind quay wall models undergoing lateral flow of liquefied soil: shaking table results" Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 30, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 1043-1060. (listed as Top 25 Hottest Articles)
- Motamed, R., Sesov, V., Towhata, I., and Anh, N.T. (2010) "Experimental modelling of large pile groups in sloping ground subjected to liquefaction-induced lateral flow: 1-G shaking table tests" Soils and Foundations, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 261-280.
- Motamed, R., Towhata, I., Honda, T., Yasuda, S., Tabata, K., and Nakazawa, H. (2009) "Behaviour of pile group behind a sheet pile quay wall subjected to liquefaction-induced large ground deformation observed in shaking test in E-Defense project" Soils and Foundations, Vol. 49, No. 3, pp. 459-476.
- Ghodrati Amiri, G., Razavian Amrei, S.A., and Motamed, R. (2007) "Uniform hazard spectra for different northern part of Tehran, Iran" Journal of Applied Sciences 7 (22): 3368-3380.
- Motamed, R., Ghalandarzadeh, A., and Towhata, I. (2007) "Seismic microzonation and damage assessment of Bam City, Southeastern Iran". Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 11, Issue 1, 93 -115, Taylor & Francis.