Research Associate Professor, NEES Operations Manager
- Ph.D., University of Nevada, Reno, 2001
- M.S., University of Nevada, Reno, 1997
- B.Sc., University of Alexandria, Egypt, 1991
- Experimental and analytical studies of seismic performance of bridge foundations, shallow and deep foundations, soil-structure-interaction, pile and pile group response under axial loading, use of grout techniques to improve load carrying capacity of drilled shafts, deep foundation instrumentation and testing
- Theoretical and experimental aspects of earthquake engineering and soil dynamics, undrained soil behavior and soil liquefaction
- Characterization and the application of geosynthetics to improve soil performance
- Faculty participant in College of Engineering K-12 outreach programs
- Application of Computational Science in engineering education
Relevant past experience:
- Manager of Bridge Research and Information Center
- Soil box and shake table experiments of scaled models of footings
- Full-scale testing of eccentrically braced frames for Richmond San-Rafael bridge retrofit
- Seismic performance of bridge restrainers and retaining structures
- Editor of the "38th Engineering Geology and Geotechnical Engineering Symposium", 2003
- Full-scale testing of post grouted drilled shafts
- Large-scale lab testing on drilled shafts
- Former member of the Liquefaction Subcommittee, Goescience Subcommittee, Nevada Earthquake Safety Council
Other Activities within Engineering and Teaching Professions
- Member ASCE, CUREE, NEES
- Designer of the UNR-laminar Soil Box (10'x10'x6') for assessing Soil-Foundation-Structure-Interaction (SFSI) under seismic conditions
- Developer of AxiPile; a new model by which axial capacity of piles and drilled shafts can be assessed during loading-unloading-reloading phases
- Chair of NEES Site Operations Manager forum (2009 - present)
- Advisory board member for Project Management certificate Program, Extended Studies, University of Nevada, Reno (2007 - present)
Publications and presentations
- Elfass, S., Yang, H., Siino, J., Norris, N., 2009, "Drained t-z Characterization for Piles/Shafts in Sand," International Foundation Congress & Equipment Expo 2009 - IFCEE '09, ASCE, March, Orlando, FL.
- Elfass, S., Pooranampillai, J.D., Elsayed, A., Norris, N., 2009. "Undrained Point Load-Point Displacement Response of Piles/Drilled Shafts in Clay and Sand," International Foundation Congress & Equipment Expo 2009 - IFCEE '09, ASCE, IFCEE '09, ASCE, March, Orlando, FL.
- Pooranampillai, J.D., Elfass, S., Vanderpool, W., Norris, N., 2009. "Large-Scale Laboratory Study on the Innovative Use of Low Mobility Compaction Grout for Drilled Shaft Tip Post Grouting," International Foundation Congress & Equipment Expo 2009 - IFCEE '09, ASCE, IFCEE '09, ASCE, March, Orlando, FL.
- Pooranampillai, J.D., Elfass, S., Vanderpool, W., Norris, G., 2008, "Development and Assessment of Post Grouting Methods to Increase the Load Carrying Capacity of Deep Foundations," 41st Symposium on Engineering Geology and Geotechnical Engineering, April 2008, p 77 - 92.
- Vanderpool, W., Norris, G., Elfass, S., 2008, "Warning: Low Mobility Grout (LMG) May Not Equal compaction Grout (CG), (2008), Geotechnical News, March 2008, Volume 26, Number 1, p 44-50.
- Elfass, S. and Norris, G., 2008, "Undrained Tip Response of Drilled Shaft in Cohesionless Soils," Geotechnical and Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics (GEESD) IV, ASCE, Sacramento, CA.
- Muhanna, M., Dascalu, S., Harris, F. C., Elfass, S., and Karam, M., "Specification and Design Aspects of the Academic Researcher's Assistant (ARA) Software for Mobile Devices," Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interaction (ACHI'08), S.L. Martinique, France, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 95-100. February 2008.
- Elfass, S. A., Norris, G. M., Vimalaraj, P., 2007, "A Simple Bearing Capacity Equation," GeoDenver 2007, ASCE, New Peaks in Geotechnics, Denver, CO.
- CEE 101 Engineering Graphics
- CEE 121 Elementary Surveying
- CEE 140 Introduction to Civil Engineering
- CEE 442/642 Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering
- CEE 443/643 Geotechnical Engineering: Foundations
- CEE 445/645 Geosynthetics
- CEE 746 Advanced Foundation