Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK test)
The SPEAK test is used by the Graduate School to determine the language skills of non-native English-speaking graduate teaching assistants. The SPEAK test is administered by trained professional staff. Each non-native English-speaking graduate teaching assistant is required to take the SPEAK test. The test ensures teaching assistants are assigned teaching duties consistent with their ability to communicate effectively in spoken English.
How to register
The SPEAK Test is offered to University of Nevada, Reno students by appointment. It will be delivered via an online format. Students will need to first pay the fee ($75.00) using the Testing Center website.
The process is as follows:
- Go to the Testing Center website.
- Click “Schedule Your Examination.”
- On the next screen, select “Fee payment only” under the “Select a testing location" drop-down options.
- Choose “SPEAK Test” under the “Choose an exam” drop-down options.
- Fill out the information in the “Who is taking this exam?” boxes.
- Read the “Exam guideline acknowledgement” and click the box for “I agree to follow the above guidelines.”
- Type in your NSHE ID number in the “Needed information.”
- Click “Add to Cart” and complete the payment process.
- Once you receive your email receipt, you can forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted to set up a testing time (via Zoom within Canvas) and will be invited to a Canvas course.
- The exam takes approximately 30 minutes. You will need access to a computer with a camera and audio. You will need to show a photo ID at the beginning of the exam.
- You will receive your results via email within 72 hours of completing the test. A copy of your results will be forwarded to the Graduate School.
There are no practice materials as this is a skills-based test. The test asks a series of questions that include giving directions, explaining information, telling about sequential events, and providing opinions.